Environment Sort Order is no longer respected in dropdown

The Environments page has the option to order the environment:

Today we updated to the latest version of Octopus Deploy, Version 2021.1 (Build 7316).

Before this upgrade the list of environments in the Runbook dropdown were ordered the same as the Environments page. After the upgrade, they are now in alphabetical order.

Is there some way to return to using the order on the Environments page?

Hi @OctopusSchaff,

I think this may be due to a change we made in some ordering recently. Let me check with the UX team and see if this is intentional or not.

Please feel free to reach out in the meantime with any other questions.

Best,
Jeremy

Jeremy,

We have found that many other sort orders are now messed up too.

For example, in one of my RunBooks, I setup a picklist of possible options. Like this:

Prior to the upgrade, these would appear in the order I listed them. (Descending from largest to smallest.)

Now they appear like this:

We would really like to have the old, non-sorted, display back for our lists.

Is there any update on if this can be fixed?

Hi @OctopusSchaff,

Thanks for the extra data point. I am still talking to our UX team about this. I will pass this one along as well and get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Best,
Jeremy

Hi @OctopusSchaff,

I’ve made an issue here: Runbook Environment and Dropdown Prompted Variables are sorting by alphabetical rather than desired order · Issue #6920 · OctopusDeploy/Issues · GitHub

Can you think of any of the other instances of alphabetical sorting where you think it shouldn’t be in your runbooks so I can add it to the issue to be remediated at the same time?

Best,
Jeremy

Not sure if this is related to this bug, but the list of scopes in variables also sorts alphabetically.

In my environment list these are in order of:

• Ops-Sandbox
  • Ops-NonProd
  • Ops-Production

It would make more sense to sort this by the environment order.

Hey @OctopusSchaff,

Thanks for the head’s up, I’ll add it to the issue!

Please let me know if you run into any more and I hope you have a great weekend.

Best,
Jeremy

@jeremy.miller,

We have quite a few environments and not having them in order is prone to cause errors (and is just annoying).

I am curious how Octopus Deploy does its prioritization for issues. Is this something that is likely to get fixed?

Hey @OctopusSchaff,

Thanks for reaching out.

I do remember speaking with one of our developers in the last couple of weeks regarding this. I think this issue may be resolved in our latest version and the parent issue fell into the void and didn’t get closed (if that’s the case, I apologize and I will let the developers know.)

I tested the runbook run environment sorting, the environment scoping on a variable, and also the dropdown list and they are all in the chosen/given order rather than alphanumerical. I tested in 2021.1.7595.

Which version are you currently running? Would you be able to upgrade and let me know if you’re good on your end?

Please let me know.

Best,
Jeremy

Thanks for checking that for me! I am exited to hear that it may be fixed!

I put in a request to get it upgraded. It will take a few weeks.

I will let you know how it goes.

Hey @OctopusSchaff,

You’re very welcome!

Since your upgrade will take a while to get approved/executed, in the mean time I should be able to confirm which versions it’s in for you.

I will reach out asap when I have more information.

Best,
Jeremy

We upgraded and the issue is fixed!

Thank you very much for the help!

1 Like

Hey @OctopusSchaff,

Sorry I never upgraded this thread with the version. It fell through the cracks.Thanks so much for letting me know it fixed the issue for you.

I hope you have a great rest of your week.

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.