Environment create is not available for deployment

Hi,

I have create a new environment in the environment tab of octopus and added machine to it. I also added the environment to the project group.

But when I go to the project and try to deploy it, the environment is not listed in the drop down. Also when check the variable snapshot for a release in the project, the variable for the environment is showing as “deleted”.

Is there any limit in the maximum number of environment we can have in octopus? The reason I asked is, when I deleted some unused environments, the new environment is become available for deployment.

Thanks,
Suneesh

Hi Suneesh,

Thanks for getting in touch! We have different levels of licensing that mean you can only create so many machines, but you can have as many environments as you like.
I have to assume you are on a version lower than 2.6 as you mention adding environments to a project group.

When you do reach your limits we have a warning in the footer and deployments are stopped until the limits are reset.

It is possible though that in that moment of creating the environment and trying to deploy to it that it was a hiccup in the timing with a Raven index so it was unavailable to view in the drop down.

To check what your limits are there is a machine count in your license found under Configuration -> License.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa

Thank you Vanessa for the quick response.

You assumed right, we are using octopus 1.6.I don’t see any limit in our license. When I check the license XML it show only one limiting factor, Project Limit and that is unlimited.

I tried deleting the environment and recreated it couple of times. I was still getting the same error.

Thanks,
Suneesh

Hi Suneesh,

Roughly how many environments do you have in Octopus? There are a few bugs in Octopus 1.6 that occur when you have more than 128 items - perhaps you have more than 128 environments?

Paul

Thank you for the response Paul.

We have 128 environments at present.
Is there any work for the bug? We would need to add more environment for our production deployment.

Thanks,
Suneesh

Hi Suneesh,

At this current time we would be unable to get a patch out in any timely manner as we just do not have the environments or testing facilities setup.
May I ask why you are still using 1.6 and if there are any specific issues holding you back from upgrading?

The only workaround would be to disable environments.

Vanessa