Dynamic feeds

Hi there. I am using 3.7.12 and I am struggling with dynamic package feeds.

Scenario as follows:
Project variable, name = Feed_Server, value = \WIMS-TFS2\WimsBuildResults\WIMS Trunk Server\NuGetFeed

This variable is then used as package feed custom step like this: #{Feed_Server}

Result upon trying to create release => Doing a “Search” on the Create release page = “the resource you requested was not found”

Result upon trying to deploy the release => there was a problem with your request the referenced by steps in this project no longer exist.

Any hints to what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks for a great product :slight_smile:

Harry

Hi Harry,

Thanks for getting in touch! I think I can see what is going on here. When you are defining your #{FeedID} variable, you need to ensure the value resolves to the ID and not the URL for the actual feed. Octopus has the feed stored under Library -> External Feeds, this dynamic feed ID needs to evaluate against your feeds ID in on this page.

For example I have the following feed on my VM.

ID: Linux-Feed
Name: Primary Linux Feed
URL:192.168.1.38

My project has the variable:
Name - Value
FeedID - Linux-Feed

And naturally the project has:

#{FeedID}

Let me know if the above helps you get this going. Also the following link will take you to our documentation for dynamically selecting feed ID. https://octopus.com/docs/deploying-applications/deploying-packages/dynamically-selecting-packages

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi and thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

Ok, I see what You mean, but the url of my feed is dynamic.

I have an prompted value i.e. input1 and the value given by the deployer will then be used as a part of url in the feed.

Is this possible to achieve?

Hi Harry,

Thanks for getting back. I think I understand what you are after here, but please correct me if I am wrong. It sounds like you are trying to change the URL value under Library->External Feeds, dynamically, during deployment. If this is so, then it is not possible. You can have multiple feeds defined, one for each possible URL, then select them from a list, however you can not have this value changed with a prompted variable.

However, if you are simply trying to use a prompted variable to define the feed, this should work fine.

It may also help to know your specific requirement for doing this if the above does not answer your questions. Perhaps some more detailed information about how your feeds are currently configured and how you are trying to interact with them using Octopus.

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel.

You are correct. The scenario you described was the one I was looking for.

The client has opted for a solution that is not optional but it works and is based on the way they do their building of different versions of the product.

Thanks anyway for your help and again thank you for an excellent product :slight_smile:

Have a nice day

br
Harry

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the update and thanks for the feedback! I passed it onto the team. :slight_smile:

Please feel free to get in touch at any time in the future if you have any questions or need a hand.

Best regards,
Daniel