Duplicate Release number issue

Hello,

Occasionally seeing issue of duplicate release number created for two projects when release created for single project only. and this happened for one user, not all user. But its difficult to reproduce.
Not sure its octopus bug, Please let us know your thought about this.

Note:- one project was created by cloning other project and project group is same.

Thanks
Sanoj

Hi @sanojyadavahir,

Thanks for reaching out.

Which version of Octopus are you currently running?

Is there anything in the audit log for the release creation for those 2 projects that may point us in the right direction? You can find the audit log in Configuration > Audit. If you look at both entries and the origin and other data, we might get some clues on what could be causing this.

Please let me know.

Best,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks quick response.
We are using version 2019.5.12.
I noticed in Audit log both projects releases were created on different date, one week difference in create date.

Thanks
Sanoj

Hi @sanojyadavahir,

Thank you for getting back to us and providing us with the version of Octopus.

The audit log should also have entries for what is creating the releases, such as a portal, api key, etc. Do you see these in the audit log as well, and can you relay them to us? Next to each release in the audit log, there is a drop-down button that expands the record to show further details. The ‘Established with’ field should help track down where each release is originating.

Example drop-down:

Example of releases with different ‘Established with’ fields:

Best,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Here is audit log
Established with:
Session cookie
User agent:
Portal

Project1 log

{
“Id”: “Releases-627”,
“Version”: “21.5.23.1”,
“ReleaseNotes”: null,
“Assembled”: “2021-05-10T16:45:20.5617186+00:00”,
“ReleaseDefects”: [],
“ProjectId”: “Projects-21”,
“ProjectVariableSetSnapshotId”: “variableset-Projects-21-s-98-7T3US”,
“ProjectDeploymentProcessSnapshotId”: “deploymentprocess-Projects-21-s-48-PTD8P”,
“LibraryVariableSetSnapshots”: [
{
“LibraryVariableSetId”: “LibraryVariableSets-2”,
“VariableSetSnapshotId”: “variableset-LibraryVariableSets-2-s-4-SYGGM”
}
],
“SelectedPackages”: [],
“ChannelId”: “Channels-21”,
“PackageMetadata”: [],
“SpaceId”: “Spaces-1”
}

Project2 log

{
“Id”: “Releases-568”,
“Version”: “21.5.23.1”,
“ReleaseNotes”: null,
“Assembled”: “2021-05-03T15:25:58.4454908+00:00”,
“ReleaseDefects”: [],
“ProjectId”: “Projects-1”,
“ProjectVariableSetSnapshotId”: “variableset-Projects-1-s-179-HJ445”,
“ProjectDeploymentProcessSnapshotId”: “deploymentprocess-Projects-1-s-401-NXDBQ”,
“LibraryVariableSetSnapshots”: [
{
“LibraryVariableSetId”: “LibraryVariableSets-2”,
“VariableSetSnapshotId”: “variableset-LibraryVariableSets-2-s-4-SYGGM”
}
],
“SelectedPackages”: [],
“ChannelId”: “Channels-1”,
“PackageMetadata”: [],
“SpaceId”: “Spaces-1”
}

Thanks
Sanoj

Hi @sanojyadavahir ,

Thanks for providing us with the audit log details.

Just to clarify, do Project 1 and Project 2 both have the exact same details in the audit lot for ‘Established with’?

Also, you should be able to verify which user performed this in the audit log as well, which may help determine how each release was created.

Best,

Hi Patrick,

Seems like Assembled property is different in log.
Same user created both release.

Thanks
Sanoj

Hi Sanoj,

Thanks for keeping in touch. I’ll jump in here with Patrick as he’s currently offline as part of our US-based team. :slight_smile:

This is a strange one, especially since there’s the week difference in the two being created. I’m wondering if maybe the second release (Releases-627 in Projects-21) might have been created as part of the deployment process when the release from the first project is deployed. This could be the case if you are using the Chain Deployment library step, pointing it to the second project and setting the release version in it. Might be a long shot, but wondering if maybe that’s what’s going on?

Do you have any triggers configured on the second project that’s configured to create a new release when it fires?

How is the release of the first project initially created? (Manually in the UI, Octo CLI, build server, etc.)

Would you be willing to share the deployment process JSON from both projects so I can attempt to reproduce this issue locally? You can download this in your projects’ Process tab, under the overflow menu as shown below.

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

We are not using Chain Deployment library step or any trigger.
First release was created manually in octopus UI.
We will try to reproduce if we can then I will reach out again.

Thanks
Sanoj

Hi Sanoj,

Thanks for the confirmation, and sounds like a plan. If you do reproduce it, I’d like to have a look at your deployment process from the first project, as it seems likely that something in the process is creating the release of the second project, and setting the release version to match (e.g. by using #{Octopus.Release.Version} or something else we can’t spot at the moment).

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.