Don't modify existing App Pool

Hi, I am using a “Deploy to IIS” process step, and we have a number steps which represent different applications, all using the same app pool. I wish to minimize the installation time and also not have to put the App Pool password in all of the steps. Is there a way to tell Octopus to use an existing App Pool without reconfiguring it? If I leave the password out, it changes the existing app pool password and then of course fails to start. If I leave the password and the username out, it blanks both!

How can I have Octopus just use an existing app pool without attempting to reconfigure it?

Thanks!

Ian Elsinga

Hi Ian,

Thanks for getting in Touch!

The Deploy to IIS process step that you are using is designed to always update the app pool so that we know it is a consistent state for the deployment, unfortunately there is no way to modify that step to remove that requirement.

Having said that, the workaround would be to use the “Deploy a package” step which would enable you to deploy any updated files (including any Web.config transforms) without modifying IIS at all. As you are writing directly to the folder structure at this point be aware that depending on the site involved there may be some small downtime while the files are being deployed. To avoid this issue you can deploy to a new folder then update the IIS virtual directory (similar to blue/green production deployment workflows).

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

Regards,

Alex

1 Like

Thanks Alex, this is helpful. I suggest that it be a future advanced option to use the existing app pool the way it is.

Regards,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I’m glad that we were able to help :slight_smile:

The best way to request feature changes (such as the option to not change the app pool) is to request it via our UserVoice portal. That opens the discussion with both Octopus and the community and if the request receives enough support we will look at incorporating the feature in a future release.

Happy deploying,

Regards,

Alex