Deployment tasks not showing on high availability node

We are experiencing a strange issue with our high-availability Octopus cluster. We have two nodes, but only the “Follower” node seems to work properly when it comes to viewing task progress. If we deploy something, the list of tasks (and logs, etc.) is only visible when connected to the “Follower” node. When connected to the leader, it shows an empty list of tasks. When connected to the follower, everything appears normal.

Additionally, we are running version 3.11.4

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting in touch! This is an interesting mystery to solve. Just to confirm, when you say the lost of tasks do you mean the list of Steps and Actions the deployment will perform?

If that is the case, this is all built from reading and parsing the TaskLog for the deployment. Here are some ideas of what might be going wrong:

1. Each node is pointing to a different physical location: This value is a cluster-wide configuration stored in the Configuration table in the SQL database. It is meant to point to a shared location so all nodes in the cluster share Task Logs. Maybe the address each node is pointing to resolves to a different physical location on your network? This would happen if you pointed the Task Logs to a local address like C:\Octopus\TaskLogs and each node would write to a local folder.

2. Permissions: Perhaps the node cannot access the share for Task Logs? It might be worth checking permissions to the share.

Here is our documentation page about shared storage just in case it helps!

If none of this helps resolve the problem I would be happy to dig into it further with you until we resolve the problem. Screenshots of the behaviour would help, along with the Octopus.Server.config files from each node, along with a dump of the Configuration table from your SQL database. :slight_smile:

Please send any sensitive information through to our support email address, or mark this thread as private before attaching sensitive information.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Thanks, Michael, that did the trick! Obviously we didn’t pay as close attention to the documentation as we should have–we had only configured a shared package repository, not for task logs or artifacts.

Hi Adam,

Glad to hear you got it working. :slight_smile:

Happy Deployments and hope you have a great weekend!
Mike

Hi Adam,

By the way, you can safely copy the contents of those folders into the shared location once you make them. I would suggest scheduling some downtime to move everything to the shared locations, update the server configuration, and then bring it all back online again.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Hi Adam,

I just thought I’d let you know I’ve added a section to our HA configuration page describing these scenarios. Do you think this would have helped in your situation?

Hope that helps!
Mike