Deploying older releases pre-configascode fail

I have updated our On-Prem test instance to newest available recommended for self-hosted instances.

While testing it seems that all releases that’s not created using Config-as-code will now fail to deploy with an error, for all Config-as-code projects. Other projects not using CaC works with no issue.

Now this has happen before in an earlier version, which is why this is specifically tested when we update.

Currently this means we can’t stay updated, anyone have similar issues?

Good morning @terjered,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support and welcome to the forums! I am sorry to hear your projects that are Config as Code (CaC) are failing to deploy after an upgrade.

Can I ask a few follow up questions just to get an idea of what is happening here and can get this to our engineers. I have not seen the error ‘cannot create DatabaseProjectReference for non-Database project’ before and we have no record of it in past forum posts or tickets so this seems new.

It also may be environmental and isolated to just your instance since we have had a few customers upgrade now and they have not experienced the same issues.

• Can you confirm that all of your projects that are CaC are now failing to deploy with that error message.
  • Can you also confirm that all projects that are not CaC are deploying correctly.
  • What version of Octopus were you running previously and what version have you upgraded to.
  • You mentioned you have run into this issue before, do you recall how you fixed it?
  • Have you confirmed you can connect to your CaC repo from Octopus (by going into the project and clicking on ‘Version Control’ in the left menu and then selecting ‘Test’).
  • Can you try clearing the Git cache on your Octopus server and re-trying a deployment:

If the test passes on your projects for that CaC repo and the Git cache clear does not work, can you get us your Octopus Server logs and a task log of one of the failed deployments please and we can take a look at this for you.

I have created you a secure link to our secure file site here you can upload the files to, let us know once they have been uploaded and I will take a look.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hey @terjered,

Sorry for my double post here but I have just been able to reproduce this issue by creating a new project and creating two releases which deployed fine. I then migrated my project to CaC and tried to deploy one of my previous releases and I get the same error so no need to perform all the tests I asked previously.

I will get a GitHub issue created for this and get this sent to our engineers to take a look.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hey @terjered,

As promised here is the GitHub issue for this bug, if you subscribe to that it will notify you when a fix is out.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi.

Awesome, thanks for checking and for the updates. I will subscribe to the issue, and wait for updates there.

Thanks again.

Hey @terjered

No worries, helping customers is what we are here for! Hopefully we can get this fixed quickly and you can then upgrade your production instance once you are confident the fix works on the new Octopus version you put on your test environment.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hey @terjered,

Just a quick update for you on this issue, our engineers have a fix out already that they are currently testing and will push out to a 2023.4 release (for our cloud customers) once they are happy with their testing. They will then backport that fix to a 2023.3 version (for our On-Prem server customers).

I do not have a date when this will reach general availability for 2023.3 but the fact we have a fix out already and its in its testing phases is good news.

As a side note and I should have checked this yesterday, you can still deploy the non-CaC release via the Overview page, if you wanted to deploy the same release to the same environment you can use the Overview page to click on that release and then re-deploy it.

So the issue is only for the release page load for a non-CaC release created prior to the migration of that project to Config as Code.

Just in case another customer encounters this you are still able to deploy those releases, you are just unable to load the release page for that release.

Hopefully we can get the fix rolled out soon.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hey @terjered,

I have wonderful news you for this morning, our engineers have pushed the fix out to our latest 2023 build (2023.3.13001) which you can find on our downloads page.

If you upgrade to that version I can confirm you can now load the releases page for those releases and deploy them. I have tested on my reproduction of this issue and it has fixed it for me.

Let me know if upgrading does not fix it on your test environment though and we will re-open the GitHub issue but you should be good to go after upgrading to 2023.3.13001.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi.

Yes, that is great news indeed.

I’ve updated it and tested in our Test environment, and I can confirm that it’s now working as expected.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hey @terjered,

Great news upgrading your test instance has fixed the release page issue, I am glad we could help!

Reach out if you need anything in future as we are always on hand to assist!

Kind Regards and Happy Deployments,
Clare

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.