Deploy War to Weblogic Server

Hi,

I need to deploy a war file to an weblogic instance.

I have created release in Octopus and pushed the package from my build server.I have also installed a listening tentacle on my Dev server that has weblogic running.

What is the best way to go about this in Octopus?

Thanks,
Sara

Hi Sara,

Thanks for getting in touch! Generally in Octopus, we follow the idea that if you can package it, we can deploy it. So if you are able to zip your .war file, then Octopus can deploy it and run scripts to do anything else needed.

We have some documentation on packaging application. It may provide some useful information.

Let me know if you have any further questions or if you run into any issues.

Best regards,
Daniel

Thanks Daniel.

AM all good with the ZIP file and have created the release in Octopus with the desired Zip file.

I will like to know how I can proceed to deploy this file onto the remote server that runs weblogic.

I have installed the listening tentacle on the remote server already.

Thanks,
Sara

Hi Sara,

Thanks for getting back! As far as actually deploying the .war file to your server, there are a couple of resources that I can provide you. You may have already seen this but there is a documentation page on deploying java applications on our website.
https://octopus.com/docs/guides/deploying-java-applications

There are also some previous conversations that I can link you to which may help you here.

Currently we do not have too much in the way of direct support/documentation for deploying java applications. However, we are currently looking into improving this. If you gave any more specific questions on areas you are stuck with regarding your deployment, please feel free to let me know and ill do my best to help. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Thanks for that Daniel.As you guessed I have read them.

I have created a script to deploy the WAR file.The script is a python script that needs to be passed with some parameters and invoked,

I have created the script in the Target server and need to pass some parameters from the Octopus server through a Script task.

Can you please help.

Thanks,
Sara

Hi Sara,

Thanks for getting back! The best method we can currently suggest for doing this would be to have your .war packaged alongside your script.

Then, inside Octopus, you are able to use custom scripts and define a post-deploy script. You could use this script to execute your batch file with any parameters you require.

So you could deploy both your .war and your script, then use the post deploy to kick off the script with any parameters you need.

We have a great documentation page on passing parameters to scripts, which would be well worth checking out.
https://octopus.com/docs/deploying-applications/custom-scripts#Customscripts-Passingparameterstoscripts

Let me know if I have missed anything or if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Daniel