Deploy the same release of a project to multiple tentacles concurrently as individual tasks

The scenario that I’m hoping for some help with is as follows:

I have a Virtual Machine Scale Set in Azure, which has a bootstrapping script associated to it which proceeds to install Octopus Deploy and then triggers a deployment of the software to the newly created VM using Octo.exe. This works well for a single machine, but when creating multiple VMs the issue that occurs is that only 1 deployment happens at a time, which extends the time taken to complete the spin up of the new virtual machines significantly if there are lots to create.

Is there a way to deploy the same release of a project concurrently to multiple machines all as independent tasks?

Hi Alan,

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately there’s no direct way to implement this, though we have been recently discussing addressing this issue in the future. For the time being, we’d recommend implementing the multi-tenancy feature as a workaround. Deployments to tenants creates individual deployment tasks per tenant and should achieve the result you’re after. In case you haven’t read it yet, we have great documentation around multi-tenancy with lots of great information outlining how it works and how to implement it.

Please let me know what you think, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions moving forward. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately though the suggestion won’t work. These are VMs for the same tenant - what we’re talking about here is scaling up and down a series of VMs for a particular customer. I’m surprised this isn’t a more common request, but maybe people are just implementing it in a different way or have a quicker deployment process so it isn’t such an issue.

Thanks again, looks like I’m going to have to go back to the drawing board.

Alan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.