Deploy errors after upgrading Target to SQL 2019

Self Hosted Octopus Server v2021.1(Build 7556)
TeamCity 2021.1.2 (build 92869)
Windows Server 2016 Standard

Our environment utilizes TeamCity for SQL database Project builds, then hand off to Octopus for deploy to various environments. All environments were on SQL 2017.

Last week I upgraded one Target server to SQL 2019, and left the target database compatibility Level to SQL 2017. I can no longer deploy to that target (Development). The error message is “Unable to connect to master or target server ‘xxx’. You must have a user with the same password in master or target server ‘xxx’”

If I then Deploy to another Target (QA)(still SQL 2017) it runs fine.

I have verified that I can log into SSMS with the User used during the deploy, and that I have access to both the Target database as well as master.

When I compare the 2 log files, the only real difference that I see is the failed server has a line “[PackageID] = ‘TOM_DATABASE’” that is not present in the successful log. I am not sure where that is coming from.

My uneducated conclusion is that I cannot deploy to a SQL version above the one on my Octopus (or TeamCity) Server.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Hi @WDiamond,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support.

I’ve responded to you via our email/ticketing system. I’ll keep this forum post open so that we can post a solution to this issue, if possible, once we determine the root cause. However, in the interest of keeping everything in one place, let’s continue this conversation via our email/ticketing system.

Best Regards,
Donny

Donny, your support team rocks! As you demonstrated during last week’s call, the new template (Deploy DACPAC with AAD) works fine for our environment. I now have it working to all of our Deploy environments.

1 Like

Hi @WDiamond,

Thank you for getting back to me. I’m glad to hear the new step template worked for you.

All credit for the step template goes to @Shawn_Sesna.

If there is anything else we can assist with, please let us know.

Best Regards,
Donny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.