Deploy a Package Stuck Or Fails

Hi Team,

Deploy a Package stuck during deploy a package.
It causes delay in production deployment.

Octopus Version: Cloud Version.

Priority: High

Thanks
Vivek

Good morning @US1-DevSecOps,

Welcome to the Octopus forums and sorry to hear you are having an issue with a package getting stuck during a deployment.

Can you let me know what project has the issue please just so I can take a look for you.

Also, to be able to logon to your instance I need your explicit permissions so are you ok with me creating a Support user on your instance please so I can take a look at this for you.

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi Clare,

Please go ahead.

Project Reference Link: Octopus Deploy

Thanks
Vivek

Hey @US1-DevSecOps,

Thank you for confirming I can create a support user on your instance, it looks like your instance is failing to deploy the package to your polling tentacle - USCA-PRD1-WEB20. I can see it acquires the package fine and uploads it but gets stuck on this line:

07:34:18   Verbose  |         Invoking target script C:\Octopus\Applications\JENKON_USCA_PROD\UAT_Release_Candidate\75.0.0.383_1\Octopus.Action.CustomScripts.PreDeploy.ps1 with  parameters.
07:34:18   Verbose  |         Searching For Environment.Manifest_Multi_RTE.json Environment_Manifest_Multi_RTE.json In E:\Automation\JSON\Multi_RTE
07:45:19   Verbose  |         Swallowing OperationCanceledException while waiting for last of the process output.
07:45:19   Verbose  |         Swallowing OperationCanceledException while waiting for last of the process output.
07:45:19   Verbose  |         Process C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe in C:\Octopus\Work\20230206073415-9414-11 exited with code -1

From what I can see this is the first time you have deployed with this project. I can also see you have a project which is the same but it deploys to QA and that seems to work fine. It looks like its the same target you are deploying to and the same package but I see this in the logs for the working QA project:

22:11:05   Verbose  |         Invoking target script C:\Octopus\Applications\JENKON_USCA_QA\UAT_Release_Candidate\75.0.0.383\Octopus.Action.CustomScripts.PreDeploy.ps1 with  parameters.
22:11:05   Verbose  |         Searching For Environment.Manifest_Multi_RTE.json In E:\Automation\JSON\Multi_RTE
22:11:05   Info     |         USCA-PRD-WEBXX
22:11:11   Info     |         USCA-PRD-WEBXX

So you will notice in QA your logs show:

Searching For Environment.Manifest_Multi_RTE.json In E:\Automation\JSON\Multi_RTE

Whereas in Prod the logs show:

Searching For Environment.Manifest_Multi_RTE.json Environment_Manifest_Multi_RTE.json In E:\Automation\JSON\Multi_RTE

So it seems in your Prod deployment its searching for Environment.Manifest_Multi_RTE.json twice, which is causing it to timeout with the Swallowing OperationCancelledException error.

The only real difference in variables I can spot is in your QA project the Source JSON is in a folder called usca_prd_PKGS whereas Prod is in usca_prd1_PKGS. But I am not sure if that would make a difference or not?

The Target JSON file path for both projects variable are the same.

Are you able to triple check your scripts for both the Prod and QA projects and make sure there is nothing in there that would affect that TargetJson path. It may also be something in the Prod SourceJson path file that is duplicating the TargetJson variable?

I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards,
Clare

This topic you can closed.

Hey @US1-DevSecOps,

Thank you for letting us know this can be closed off, usually with the forum posts they auto close in around 28 days so in future you can just let the post auto-close without having to let us know.

I assume the issue was you had a double Environment_Manifest_Multi_RTE.json link in one of your scripts?

I only ask as it could be beneficial for others who have a similar issue and come to our forum posts for the answer, if we can close this off we like to have the outcome of what the fix was just so it helps others.

If it was not the double Environment_Manifest_Multi_RTE.json are you able to just describe in brief how you fixed the issue, we would really appreciate it if you could but we understand you may not be able to.

Kind Regards and Happy Deployments,
Clare

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.