Deploy 2 Windows Service same folder

Hello,
i am looking for assistance. I have a 2 window service pointing to the same folder. When i deploy both those window services, the folders increment for each of the steps (two window services). Is there a way that i can have the second service reference the first step folder and not create one ?

Hi Ramy,

Thanks for getting in touch! There’s probably a good solution to accomplish what you’re after, though can you expand a bit on your scenario and end goal? Are these two separate services you’re wanting to deploy to the same folder? If so, you could enable custom installation directory feature on your second step and target the same directory, perhaps using the previous step’s generated system variable Octopus.Action[FirstStepName].Package.InstallationDirectoryPath.

Would an approach like that help? I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hello Kenny!

Thanks for your quick reply. You are correct. There should be only one folder and two services.
I followed your suggestion and got the following error.

The custom install directory ‘{Octopus.Release.Id};{Octopus.Action.[PostbackMainService].Package.InstallationDirectoryPath}’ is a relative path, please specify the path as an absolute path or a UNC path.

Any additional feedback help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ramy,

Thanks for following up! Using only the system variable with the variable substitution syntax should provide an absolute path (something like C:\InetPub\WWWRoot\OctoFx). Does configuring the custom installation directory value as just #{Octopus.Action[PostbackMainService].Package.InstallationDirectoryPath} get it working?

I hope this helps, and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.