Deleting VariableSet snapshots

Hi,

I have a tenant tag that I’d like to remove, but when attempting to remove it I’m given this error:
A tag you have attempted to remove is in use in: Variable sets.

I gather this is because there are rows in the VariableSet table that reference this tag. I’ve removed all releases that mention these related VariableSets in their JSON, and I’ve verified that the only things that reference them in the entire database are in Event and VariableSet itself. Surely the event log should not prevent tag deletions?

I’ve re-applied an earlier retention policy cleanup through the Task-tab to no effect.

Running Octopus 3.17.1.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! From what you are saying it looks like you need to either remove the whole variable set or remove the tag from scopes of all variables in that set.

Please, let me know how you go.

Regards,

Pawel

The tag was removed from any scopes a while ago, it only appears in VariableSet where IsFrozen is 1. All that is left are snapshots used by deleted releases that had the tag in a scope at time of release. The variable set itself is integral to our setup so removing it would likely require removing all releases.

Hi Jussi,

Thanks for mentioning IsFrozen property. This gave me a few more ideas and I found that unfortunately you’ve hit an existing limitation. There is no workaround so unfortunately this tenant tag can’t be deleted.

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Regards,

Pawel

Thanks for looking into it, glad to know it’s a known issue. it’s not an urgent problem for us, the tag set will likely inflate but not at a rate that should affect usability in the short term.

Thanks for your help, I’m happy to consider this resolved.