Database Restore and Backup

Hi All,

As part of a deployment (bi weekly) we backup around 20 databases and restore them from live to stage and develop. After the restore process we run scripts to purge sensitive data and re-link some user’s, the problem is this is all done manually and takes a lot of time.

I’d like to be able to automate it and I’m wondering if Octopus can help in any way?

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am open to using other tools along side Octopus if it makes it easier. We have azure so can backup to blob store and restore from there but the SQL boxes are not Azure SQL.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting in touch! This does sound like something Octopus would be great at helping with. The best thing to do right now would be to check out our documentation. I can give you some links that you may find really helpful, after that if you have any specific questions, I would be more than happy to help.

The first link that may help you out is our documentation on how you can handle SQL server database deployments in Octopus.

You can also use Octopus to execute scripts on the target machine as a part of the deployment.

Have you started using Octopus already? If so, you should look into the above documentation and see if you think it will help. We have a large amount of documentation and we try to cover everything.

If you have not yet tried Octopus, you are able to download it from our website and sign up for a free 45-day trial license. https://octopus.com/downloads

Again, if you have any specific questions here that you can not find the answer to in our documentation, let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from you! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Thanks Daniel,

We do indeed use Octopus for deploying all our web applications, the next stage was to automate database deployment.

I’ll take a look at the docs and get back to you if there are any specific questions.

Thanks again

Steve