Dashboard not showing latest version deployed

Running 3.11.16, but the problem occurred while running an older release (from last fall), and persisted after upgrading.

Some time ago a couple of projects started showing wrong version deployed on the dashboard.

Diagnostics-log show a couple of errors like the one below (a couple today), but it doesn’t seem like linked to when we deploy or view the dashboard ( show the real servername in the logs).

Unhandled exception from web server processing GET to https://:8443/api/progression/Projects-120: An operation was attempted on a nonexistent network connection
System.Net.HttpListenerException (0x80004005): An operation was attempted on a nonexistent network connection
at System.Net.HttpResponseStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.PurgeBuffers(Boolean disposing)
at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
at System.IO.Stream.Close()
at System.IO.Compression.GZipStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
at System.IO.Stream.Close()
at Octopus.Server.Web.Infrastructure.NancyCompression.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.b__0(Stream responseStream) in Z:\buildAgent\workDir\eec88466c176b607\source\Octopus.Server\Web\Infrastructure\NancyCompression.cs:line 103
at Octopus.Server.Web.OctopusNancyHost.OutputWithDefaultTransferEncoding(Response nancyResponse, HttpListenerResponse response) in Z:\buildAgent\workDir\eec88466c176b607\source\Octopus.Server\Web\OctopusNancyHost.cs:line 356
at Octopus.Server.Web.OctopusNancyHost.ConvertNancyResponseToResponse(NancyContext nancyRequest, Response nancyResponse, HttpListenerResponse response) in Z:\buildAgent\workDir\eec88466c176b607\source\Octopus.Server\Web\OctopusNancyHost.cs:line 341
at Nancy.NancyEngineExtensions.HandleRequest(INancyEngine nancyEngine, Request request, Func2 preRequest, Action1 onComplete, Action`1 onError, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Octopus.Server.Web.OctopusNancyHost.Process(HttpListenerContext ctx) in Z:\buildAgent\workDir\eec88466c176b607\source\Octopus.Server\Web\OctopusNancyHost.cs:line 0

Best regards,
Espen Wang Andreassen

Octopus-dashboard.png

HI,
The exception you are seeing is a bit of a red herring here and should have no connection to your dashboard problems so we can put that issue to the side for now.
I have tried to replicate your configuration of environments/releases/deployments but it looks like it shows the releases that I would expect. Could I get some more information and screenshots around the Lifecycles and Channels (if any) . A full screenshot sometimes give more information that just a small section of the page so the more information the better. Also perhaps a full screenshot of your project.
Are you able to reproduce this behavior with another dummy project (for example with a single Write-Host Hello World script step)?
We do have some dashboard updates coming in the next few releases however that should only address issues on the Project dashboard so this may be a separate problem entirely.

Thanks in advance for the extra info.
Cheers,
Rob

We have over 50 projects, not all are showing this behaviour. Going through all of them to verify is not very tempting right now.

The example-project I showed you is one of the simpler that show this behaviour. It has a simple lifecycle (attached) and some very simple steps, and just the default channel.
It might have been connected to a tennant earlier, but is not anymore.

I don’t know if you use an search index or anything to show the dashboard, but it somehow feels like the view/search-index is not updated when doing deploys.

Hi,
After discussing this issue with some of the other devs, it sounds like there might be a problem with the dashboard after all under certain situations. There is a similar error in a recent ticket http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/53220 which again involves showing the wrong release. It appears that sometimes the releases are sorted lexicographically rather than by date which causes these confusing results. I will update you further once we have more information and a ticket for the fix to refer you to.
Thanks for getting in touch and our apologies for any problems that this might have caused.
Cheers,
Rob

Hi!

This sounds very likely, and matches what we see in the dashboard.
(If feels like it shouldn’t be based on sorting by semver, but on what release is actually released last, though).

But happy that you’ve identified the reason, and looking forward to a fix!

-espen

Hi Rob,

Any progress on this issue?
Unfortunately it renders the dashboard pretty useless for a lot of our projects right now.

-espen

Hi,

Good news! This has been fixed in 3.12.7.

Please let me know if that doesn’t work for you.

Regards,

Pawel

Hi,

Splendid - thanks!

-espen