Dashboard Customization

Hello,

Do you plan to add more customization over the dashboard ?

The company I work for have more than 35 environments and only 2 projects with 3 different packages. It makes it really difficult for us to see what’s going on…

Some ideas

• Create new dashboards so we could have an overview and specific dashboards
  • Modify what we want to display for a release (the green icon with the release number and the date is nice, being able to chose whatever we want instead would be great)
  • Modify the environment column size to make it more compact

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! I had a chat about your question with my team, and while we think there may be a couple of ways to simplify your dashboards to make it easier to navigate, we’d like some more information to understand your scenario and reach the best possible solution.

Why are 35 environments required? Are you using them to allow deployments of multiple instances of your projects (environment per customer)? If this is the case, multi-tenancy may be worth looking into. Tenants can be thought of as slices of an environment, so you can deploy multiple instances of your projects into each environment. You can read more about it here.

In general, we’re currently working on overhauling the UI for our upcoming 4.0 release, and we have a number of enhancements we’re looking to address. You can refer to the following GitHub issue which lists a lot of these ideas.

Specifically, we have the following suggestion on our UserVoice site (which the GitHub issue mentions) to allow for multiple dashboards. We’ll be referring to this when considering enhancements like this one, so feel free to throw it a vote and leave a comment.

Let me know if this helps. Feel free to expand a bit on your requirements, and we’ll be happy to reassess possible options. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

All the environments are used for test purpose (for developers and business analysts), heavy CPU workload and user acceptance testing.

We have briefly looked into Tenants but I understood it was mainly to set specific variable values. Our deployment is based on windows services deeply coupled with the environment (we can have N environments on the same physical machine).

However, I will look more into Tenants to see what benefits we can get from it and I voted for some suggestions about the Dashboard. I will wait for the 4.0 release to see the enhancements (I hope it’s good) ! :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, I was thinking about using the REST api to solve my issue. Do you know any source of inspiration ? Maybe some open source project having used the api (not specially for the dashboard)…

Thanks a lot,
Thibaut

Hi Thibaut,

Thanks for following up! A brief overview of some of the UI changes we’ve been working on for the upcoming 4.0 release can be seen in one of our TL;DR recordings that we’ve recently starting making public on YouTube. This is showcasing some of the UI changes as they exist in the early days of development, but you can get a good idea on the direction it’s going.

As for using the REST API, you can check out our wiki page which may be a good starting point.

And for inspiration, we have a number for example scripts that you can look through and use.

There’s also a popular Chrome extension called Bluefin, which was developed by a user, and allows for some dashboard customizations.

I hope these resources help! Let me know what you think, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions going forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

Thanks Kenny,

I have already played with the API but I didn’t knew the extension. I will give it a try!

Regards,
Thibaut

Hi Thibaut,

That sounds good! Feel free to reach out again if you have any further questions or want to let us know how you go. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Kenny