Creating tentacle - Missing permission: MachineEdit

Hi, I am trying to have an external company install a Polling Tentacle on their machine connecting to our Octopus. For this I’ve had to give them a username/password to this shared instance (a little scary having to do this) and I want to give them absolute minimum permissions because of this. I have created a team and assigned this team Machine Create access but now the install logs says the user needs Machine Edit access.

Why does creating a new machine on Octopus required Edit permissions?

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for getting in touch! Octopus requires edit permission because the register process is multi-step, we create the machine and then update extra details.
To make this less scary and more locked down I would suggest creating a special environment just for this team and scoping them to it so they will only be able to edit their own machines.

If you would like further details on how to do this, pleas let me know.

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the clarification. I have made a team giving Environment View, Machine View, Machine Edit and Machine Create permissions to a new blank environment called “Setup” for which I use for clients to add a server then I move the machine out of that environment afterwards.

Regards
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

That sounds like an excellent solution to the problem.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Thnaks,
Daniel