Creating a Azure VM Deployment Target for a space

Hi,

We have taken advantage of using spaces to separate workstreams and projects.

However, I noticed when i create a Azure VM using an Arm template with a tentacle installed (via the Tentacle VM Extension) from a project in Octopus, the VM is always created in the ‘Default’ space now matter what space I create the VM in.

Is there a way I can create a Azure VM for any space? I do not see a parameter for space in the the Tentacle VM Extension in the documentation.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately it looks like you’re hitting on a limitation with our Azure Tentacle VM extension, where you’re unable to specify a space. We have an open GitHub issue to add this, which you can track here.

We’re certainly planning on adding this in the near future. If it helps for the time being, you could instead use PowerShell DSC to configure the Tentacle in Azure, which allows you to specify the space. The following documentation page gives a good overview of this.

The following link to our OctopusDSC repo shows all available properties, including Space.

I hope that helps, and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns moving forward!

Best regards,

Kenny