Create IIS site/ Application with Nuget package

Hi
I am trying to deploy a nuget package to create an IIS site. The scenario will be an IIS site, with 3 applications within it. I have some questions below:

1. How do i create a blank IIS site, to hold the three applications? I dont have a package for the IIS site, just want to create a blank site with the environment name. I read online someone used a dummy package, how is this achieved?
  2. I want to then create the 3 application under the IIS site,which i have nuget packages for. I manually created the IIS site to test the nuget package deployment, but it doesnt deploy the package, it creates the application in the iis site, but no other content. The deployment completes successfully, but no app data is created.

Thanks
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thanks for getting in touch! I have some pointers which will hopefully help you achieve what you are after here.

To start, it could be worth considering a change in approach here. You could create three websites, each with their own URL and HTTP/s bindings. This is the most common approach we suggest for deploying independent web applications.

Alternatively, you could keep your current approach, but create the root WebSite by using a dummy package which would be used to create the “empty” root Web Site, using the built-in IIS Web Site step, and then use the built-in IIS Virtual Directory step for the three “real” application. The dummy package could just be a package with no contents.

Finally, you could create your own Custom script step such as “Create an Empty IIS Web Site” to do what you need here. This would work, but would require more custom scripting, and our built-in steps would work out to be a better option here.

Does this help?

Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts on this.

Best regards
Daniel

Hi

Thank you for the response.

I need to stick with my current approach as its for testing software and needs to be configured the same as the production software. I will try the dummy package idea.

I have tried the dummy package idea and it works, and the site is created. I want to specify a physical path and have octopus create the directory, is this possible? Or does the directory need to
exist first?

Thanks

Shane Walford

Systems Engineer

Hi Shane,

thanks for the update here! You can use our Custom Installation Directory feature to define a custom directory. Octopus will create the directory for you if it does not exist. You can even bind a variable to the field. The documentation I linked to has some details on this feature.

Does this sound like what you are after?

Let me know if this help. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The custom installation directory feature worked perfectly.

Thanks for your advice

Shane Walford

Systems Engineer

Hi Shane,

No worries at all! I’m glad this helped.

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch at any time. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.