Could not start Octopus Tools

Hi,
I tried install the newest version of Tentacle 1.5.1.1652 on the Windows Server 2008 with .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile and Extended. After installation the attached error appeared. What could be the cause of that?

Octopus_Tentacle_error.jpg

Hi Adrian,

Can you check in the Windows event viewer for any errors from Octopus? The details of the error should be logged there.

Paul

Hi Paul

There is such error.
2013-04-23 19:22:57,143 [1] FATAL Octopus [(null)] - System.InvalidOperationException: The ChannelDispatcher at ‘http://localhost:10933/’ with contract(s) ‘“Health”’ is unable to open its IChannelListener. —> System.InvalidOperationException: The ChannelDispatcher at ‘http://localhost:10933/’ with contract(s) ‘“IssueAndRenewSession”’ is unable to open its IChannelListener. —> System.InvalidOperationException: The service certificate is not provided. Specify a service certificate in ServiceCredentials.
at System.ServiceModel.Security.ServiceCredentialsSecurityTokenManager.CreateServerX509TokenProvider()
at System.ServiceModel.Security.ServiceCredentialsSecurityTokenManager.CreateLocalSecurityTokenProvider(RecipientServiceModelSecurityTokenRequirement recipientRequirement)
at System.ServiceModel.Security.ServiceCredentialsSecurityTokenManager.CreateSecurityTokenProvider(SecurityTokenRequirement requirement)
at System.ServiceModel.Security.ServiceCredentialsSecurityTokenManager.CreateTlsnegoServerX509TokenProvider(RecipientServiceModelSecurityTokenRequirement recipientRequirement)
at System.ServiceModel.Security.ServiceCredentialsSecurityTokenManager.CreateTlsnegoSecurityTokenAuthenticator(RecipientServiceModelSecurityTokenRequirement recipientRequirement, Boolean requireClientCertificate, SecurityTokenResolver& sctResolver)
at System.ServiceModel.Security.ServiceCredentialsSecurityTokenManager.CreateSecurityTokenAuthenticator(SecurityTokenRequirement tokenRequirement, SecurityTokenResolver& outOfBandTokenResolver)
at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecuritySessionSecurityTokenAuthenticator.SessionRenewSecurityTokenManager.CreateSecurityTokenAuthenticator(SecurityTokenRequirement tokenRequirement, SecurityTokenResolver& outOfBandTokenResolver)
at System.ServiceModel.Security.SymmetricSecurityProtocolFactory.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Security.WrapperSecurityCommunicationObject.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityListenerSettingsLifetimeManager.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SecurityChannelListener1.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecuritySessionSecurityTokenAuthenticator.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Security.WrapperSecurityCommunicationObject.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Security.CommunicationObjectSecurityTokenAuthenticator.Open(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecuritySessionServerSettings.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Security.WrapperSecurityCommunicationObject.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityListenerSettingsLifetimeManager.Open(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SecurityChannelListener1.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ReliableChannelListenerBase`1.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at Octopus.Tentacle.Services.ServiceHostStarter.LaunchServiceHost[TImpl,TContract](Uri address) in c:\w\e6923628be6eaf72\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Services\ServiceHostStarter.cs:line 70
at Octopus.Tentacle.Services.ServiceHostStarter.Start() in c:\w\e6923628be6eaf72\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Services\ServiceHostStarter.cs:line 40
at Octopus.Tentacle.Commands.RunAgentCommand.Start() in c:\w\e6923628be6eaf72\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Commands\RunAgentCommand.cs:line 48
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.Host.InternalRunConsole(Action execute, Action shutdown, Boolean waitForExit) in c:\w\e6923628be6eaf72\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\Host.cs:line 77

Hi Adrian,

Do any other errors appear? There should be one relating to the error dialog in your first screenshot.

Paul

Hi Paul

I’m sorry. You are right, this is not error connected to the error dialog. There is no other error. Only information that installation success or error status: 0. Error dialog occurred after installation, but there is no information in Event Viewer about it. Is there any other log in application? I repeated installation and error dialog was the same.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

When the application starts the Tentacle setup tool will try to generate an X509 certificate to be used for encryption. Creating this certificate requires a number of file system and registry permissions. In this case, my guess is that a permission is blocking the tool from being able to create this certificate. This is probably a result of a group policy or other customizations that prevent the certificate store from being used.

You could try using Filemon to see what happens during the startup and if there are any permission failures. I’ll also send you a tool shortly that you can run to try and diagnose these errors.

Paul

Hi Adrian,

Can you please download, extract and run this tool:

http://download.octopusdeploy.com/files/Certdiag.1.0.zip

(It will prompt to run as an administrator)

Could you then attach the log that you receive after running the tool?

Paul

Hi Paul
Problem with Tentacle was solved. There was some problems with logging. Server is a virtual machine and when I logged in, I noticed that temporary profile was created. So, all changes made during my (and any other user) session were lost. I think, when Tentacle tried to generate certificate during such temporary session it couldn’t.
Thanks for your help.
Adrian