Configure Jira Integration release notes

I am configuring the Jira integration for Jira Cloud to Octopus Cloud.

I followed all steps to configure the Octopus Deploy plugin for Jira and the Jira extension in Octopus Deploy.

Testing the Jira Connect App Password works.

For release notes, testing the Jira Password results in

Error
Please provide a value for Jira Base Url.

Which is strange since the Jira Base Url is configured.

I created a new release and deployed anyways.

• build information is uploaded to Octopus Cloud
  • release template does populate the release notes based on the build information
  • the Jira reference DO-147 is in the commit message and in the release notes

However, the Jira issue was not updated.

Any thoughts on how to resolve the Jira release notes API Token issue?

Thanks,
Alvin

Hi Alvin,

Thanks for posting your issue to the Octopus Community forum, and I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing those issues with Jira integration.

For the first error in testing the Jira password, we have an existing GitHub issue that should cover this and we’re working on getting it fixed. You can track it here, and I’ll add your report to it, as well.

As for the issue noted in your release, I was wondering if you’d be willing to provide me with your task log for this deployment so I can review it? If so, you can use the following link to upload it to me securely:
Octopus Support - Secure Upload

Please let me know if you do send a log through the secure upload as unfortunately I don’t recieve a notification when a new file has been uploaded.

Best,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I uploaded the task log.

I have been re-deploying the same package regularly while testing the deploy process and integrations.

The most recent deploy is based on a new release with new commits.

Thanks,
Alvin.

Hi Alvin,

Thanks very much for providing the task log and the additional details.

Unfortunately, the log hasn’t provided me with much insight as to what could be causing the issue, so I was wondering if you could detail what your pipeline looks like (e.g. build server, repo)? Hopefully, with that information I can get a better idea of what could be causing this. I may also perform some additional testing on my end to make sure there isn’t some sort of bug here.

Looking forward to hearing back!

Best,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

We are using Github with the Octopus Deploy action to create the package and send build information to Octopus Deploy. The Jira integration is enabled.

I am linking to a Jira issue on a Kanban board.

I created a new commit, published a new package to Octopus Deploy, created a new release, then deployed.

I can see the new commit with Jira reference in the release notes, but I don’t see a record of Octopus Deploy sending information to Jira.

Besides the Octopus Deploy app, is there anything to configure on the Jira side? For example, environments, labels, flags?

Thanks,

Alvin

Hi @aschur,

I’m just stepping in for Patrick as he’s still offline as part of our West Coast US team.

Aside from configuring the Octopus plugin for Jira, we also need to map environments between the two systems. The initial doc you used references environments briefly; however, we have a blog here which does a better job explaining that.

Hopefully, that’s the missing link, but please let us know if you continue to hit any issues or have any other questions we can answer.

Thanks!
Dan

Hi Dan, Patrick,

The Octopus Deploy environments are mapped to Jira environments.

The Jira configuration shows the API token created for Octopus Deloy was accessed on Friday.

Alvin.

Hi @aschur,

Thanks for confirming that additional info for us.

Would you mind sending us one of your build information files using the secure upload link Patrick sent last week? Could we also have permission to create a support user on your Octopus instance to look around? We’d like to compare your build information with what Octopus has to see if anything stands out that could be causing issues.

I look forward to hearing back, and please let me know if you have any questions for us.

Thanks!

Hi Dan,

I uploaded a build information file, ServerTasks-916.log.txt, to the secure upload area.

I created a new commit referencing a new Jira issue but on the same branch. This package was deployed to a test environment. The automated release notes includes the Jira reference, DO-146.

The Jira issue DO-146 was not updated in the Releases label. In Jira I see that Releases is also used for listing feature flags.

Yes, please do create a support user to look around. We are at a proof of concept stage.

Thanks,

Alvin.

Hi Alvin,

Thanks for getting back to us and for allowing us to review your instance configuration.

It looks like everything should be configured properly from the Octopus side of things, so I was wondering if you could check if you can retrieve the issue via an API call to your Jira Cloud server, just to make sure it works outside of Octopus. You can use the following curl command and substitute your credentials and domain to test this:

curl.exe --user "your.email@domain.com:YOUR_API_KEY" --header 'Accept: application/json' --url 'https://yoururl.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/DO-146'

Please let us know if that test is successful.

Best,
Patrick

1 Like

Hi Patrick,

The curl command now works. My mistake: Jira ties an API token to an email address and I did not enter the correct email address in Octopus Deploy.

I created a new commit, package, release and deployed to the test environment. The Jira issue was updated.

Note to self: when testing Octopus Deploy releases it is important to start with a brand new commit, build a new package, create a new release, then deploy. Trying to take a short cut by re-deploying an existing release might not test the Jira integration.

Thanks for your patience and your help.

Alvin.

2 Likes

Hey Alvin,

Thanks for getting back to me and I’m glad to hear you got it working. Also, thanks for all of the details in your response, as it goes a long way toward helping anyone else who might run into this.

Let us know if you need anything else and we’ll be happy to help.

Best,
Patrick

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.