Components and Migration

Hi there,

I’m in the process of trying to clear up some free drive space on our Octopus server and have some questions. Another company initially set the server up, and they also performed a migration from 2.x to 3.x. We’re currently on 3.3.0.

There seems to be quite a lot of directories on the server that are still in use, but shouldn’t be from what I understand:

C:\Octopus (I assume this is where all the writes should go and is a valid dir, though it also contains C:\Octopus\RavenDB - last written to in Mar 2016)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Octopus (I assume this is the server install dir and website root? Last updated in 2013)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Data (\backups and \logs are written to often - last updated today, though the “Data” file was last updated in May - around when we did the migration)
D:\Published (old custom package feed - fine with this, though we’re trying to move to the internal package feed)

I also see two windows services - “Octopus” and “OctopusDeploy”. I can’t see any services related to RavenDB. Are these both required?

I’m under the impression that RavenDB was stripped out of Octopus by 3.3.x, so the RavenDB related folders shouldn’t be needed. However, I am getting lots of .octobak files being written to C:\Program Files (x86)\Data\Backups, and logs being written to C:\Program Files (x86)\Data\Logs. I’m pretty sure this is a RavenDB folder.

The documentation for Octopus 2.x shows there’s a “Backup” option where this can be configured in the Configuration menu. I would expect this is where I would be able to disable the raven backups:

However, we’re on 3.3.0, and the backup screen basically just says “Backup your SQL database” - which we do. I’ve had a mooch around the SQL database but can’t see anything related to disabling the .octobak backups.

How can I disable the RavenDB backup schedule, and strip out RavenDB entirely so I can free up a lot of drive space and reduce the maintenance overhead?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch! After reading through what you have sent and a chat to one of the developers, we think the Octopus service is the currently running service for Octopus 2.x whereas the OctopusDeploy service would be the new current 3.x service. Would you be able to check the service properties for both Octopus and OctopusDeploy and browse to the Octopus.Server.exe for both. From there you can check the properties -> details and read the version?
I have attached a screenshot for where you can find the .exe version. :slight_smile:

The 2.x service should have been stopped as soon as the migration to 3.x was complete. So assuming that has not happened, shutting down the service now and monitoring the folders for the 2.x installation should help you identify what can be tidied up.

C:\Octopus

This is the default install location for the Octopus' home directory and contains most of the functioning data for your Octopus server.
You can confirm your Octopus server's home directory by looking in the Octopus server manager.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Octopus

This sounds like the installation directory for 2.x before the upgrade. Seeing as it has not been edited since 2013.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Data

I cannot speak for this folder but im going to make the assumption that it was the logs/backups folder for 2.x

D:\Published

Sounds like you have this one covered already. :)

We have a documentation page on the folders used in Octopus 2.x and below it those that are safe to be removed after a server migration. However, it sounds like the service is still running and that the old Octopus was installed to a different location to the current one.
Clean up post-2.6 migration: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Server+configuration+and+File+storage#ServerconfigurationandFilestorage-CleanUp

From the above link, here is a full list of folders used by Octopus 2.x (Given a default installation location.)

C:\Octopus
C:\Octopus\Backup
C:\Octopus\Logs
C:\Octopus\OctopusServer
C:\Octopus\OctopusServer\ActivityLogs
C:\Octopus\OctopusServer\Actors
C:\Octopus\OctopusServer\Repository\Index
C:\Octopus\OctopusServer\Repository\Packages
C:\Octopus\PackageCache
C:\Octopus\RavenDB

So can you confirm the above and let me know?

Let me know how you go! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Chris,

Just a note that I edited response to be a bit clearer in regards to the folders that 2.x uses on your server and that they should not all be deleted.

Best regards,
Daniel

Thank you for your detailed reply!

The “Octopus” service points to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Octopus\Server\Octopus.Server.exe

The “OctopusDeploy” Service points to:
“C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe” run --instance=“OctopusServer”

Seems there’s another folder I didn’t notice in C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\

I think I’ll stop the “Octopus” service, monitor it today, and see how things look on Monday in terms of writes to the folders we think are the old 2.x install.

Thanks for your help so far, saved me a lot of debugging time!

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back! Looking forward to hearing the outcome here!

If you need any help with this, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Daniel