Clarification on Azure Cloud Service Tentacle deployments

We have a bunch of azure projects / cloud services that we deploy on a regular basis. We want to create a pool of tentacles to do those deployments as there are always a couple in flight, but not enough to warrant a tentacle per project.

1. If three tentacles are marked with the “Azure” role, what will happen to a cloud service deployment that is marked to run on the “Azure” role? Will it just pick one, or will it try to run it on all three?

2. If two different deployments both kicked off at the same time, is the tentacle be able to run more then one at a time since it spends 15 minutes waiting for the azure VM to spin up?

Hi Ed,

Thanks for reaching out. Let me give you a hand with those questions

1. It will run on all three.

2. Be default, Octopus wont let you run two deployments at the same time on a tentacle. This link will show you how to override that default behavior:

Thanks!

Dalmiro

Good evening Dalmiro!

The answer to #2 is great, thank you for that.

For #1, is there no way to say “just run this on only 1 of the available nodes, doesn’t matter which one?” I’d hate to have to either create a bunch of duplicate VMs or make people wait in line behind someone else when a pool of 3 possible deployment tentacles could service all of them without both too much overhead and almost no collisions. (If that i the case, s there a similar user voice or is this something that can possibly be added to the “better azure support” ticket?)

Hi Ed,

We have a Uservoice suggestion for that:

Please add some votes to it if you’d like to see it implemented on future releases :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Dalmiro