Channel that deploys to tenant deploying to untenanted deploy

I have a tenant tag called “customer”, I created a channel that is scoped to the customer’s tag, when deploying to that channel the deployment properly shows the channel name at the top, but the automatic deploy is happened on the untenanted environment!

I can manually run a deploy and the customer is already selected, but this isn’t exactly what I’m looking for. Am I missing something?

Hi William,

Thanks for getting in touch! This sounds very much like an issue we are aware of, and I’ve added your example to the list of sources because we hadn’t even considered the impact of the Release’s Channel on which Tenants to include: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2672

Does this sound like it would help in your situation?

I’m sorry to say that I don’t think there’s a really good workaround apart from trying explicitly to trigger the correct deployment from your build automation…

Hope that helps!
Mike

Yep, that’s exactly what I did for now – modified our octo.exe to deploy to the tenant itself and ignore using channels for now… works for me but I really like the idea of channels doing the leg work (keeps config in Octopus too).

Both channels have one workflow: deploy to production, one is untenanted (my company) which is used to deploy demo software for customers. The other is tenanted and deploys to my customer’s servers. It’s not the best setup (I’d love to have “staging” be my production and “production” be the tenant), but I understand this is a bit of an odd setup.

Hi William,

Thanks for keeping in touch! I can see the value in “keeping knowledge of tenants inside Octopus” by using a combination of Tenants/Channels/Lifecycles to configure an auto deploy. It’s a clever idea… which will work perfectly once we implement the fix for that bug.

Hope that helps!
Mike