Cannot start Octopus Deploy service

Hello,

We cannot log into our Octopus server since this morning. When we tried to restart the Octopus service, we received this error:

Any advice on why this happens?

Thanks,

Ge

Error: Cannot start service OctopusDeploy on computer ‘.’.

Full error details are available in the log files.
At: C:\Users\bai\AppData\Local\Octopus\Logs

Cannot start service OctopusDeploy on computer ‘.’.
System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service OctopusDeploy on computer ‘.’. —> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not start due to a logon failure
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConfigureServiceHelper.ConfigureService() in Y:\Work\refs\tags\3.3.20\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ConfigureServiceHelper.cs:line 163
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ServiceCommand.Start() in Y:\Work\refs\tags\3.3.20\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ServiceCommand.cs:line 46
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.AbstractCommand.Octopus.Shared.Startup.ICommand.Start(String[] commandLineArguments, ICommandRuntime commandRuntime, OptionSet commonOptions) in Y:\Work\refs\tags\3.3.20\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\AbstractCommand.cs:line 57
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.ConsoleHost.Run(Action`1 start, Action shutdown) in Y:\Work\refs\tags\3.3.20\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\ConsoleHost.cs:line 72
at Octopus.Shared.Startup.OctopusProgram.Run() in Y:\Work\refs\tags\3.3.20\source\Octopus.Shared\Startup\OctopusProgram.cs:line 87
Error: The previous command returned a non-zero exit code of: 100
Error: The command that failed was: “C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe” service --instance “OctopusServer” --start

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.

The error says The service did not start due to a logon failure. Did the account that was running the Octopus Server service change by any chance? Best way to test this would be to quickly change the account its running under (maybe use yours just to test) and try to start it again.

Let me know if that works.

Thanks,
Dalmiro

Thanks for the reply.

The service was running under local system account by default. Are you suggesting that we should run this service under some domain account?

From: Dalmiro Grañas [mailto:tender2+d50e320388@tenderapp.com]
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2016 9:05 PM
To: Bai, Ge Ge.Bai@msx.bala.susq.com
Subject: Re: Cannot start Octopus Deploy service [Problems #46800]

// Please reply above this line

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.

The error says The service did not start due to a logon failure. Did the account that was running the Octopus Server service change by any chance? Best way to test this would be to quickly change the account its running under (maybe use yours just to test) and try to start it again.

Let me know if that works.

Thanks,
Dalmiro

On Mon, Aug 01 at 07:29 AM PDT, Ge wrote:

Hello,

We cannot log into our Octopus server since this morning. When we tried to restart the Octopus service, we received this error:

Any advice on why this happens?

Thanks,

Ge

Error: Cannot start service OctopusDeploy on computer ‘.’.

Full error details are available in the log files.
At: C:\Users\bai\AppData\Local\Octopus\Logs

Hi,

Domain accounts are always recommended, yeah. I recommend you to try to use one and see if that allows the service to start. That way you’ll now you are facing a permissions issue, and you can start working out a solution towards that area (like using a dedicated domain account)

Thanks,
Dalmiro

Dalmiro,

Okay. I can try that. Is this solution documented so I can take a look and show my team?

My main concern is that why this happened and how to avoid it in the future.

Thanks again!

Ge

Hi Ge,

All that error said was that the service could not start because it was having a problem longging in. The first question to ask in those cases is “Does the account running the service have enough permissions in the box?”. In those scenarios things usually go 2 ways:

A) You are setting up the service for the first time and it just doesn’t start. In that case you need to either use an account that has higher privileges, or add more privileges to the one you are already using

B) The account suddenly lost its permissions. In this case you need to figure out why (usually Group Policy is behind this).

The best way to test this really quick is to change the account running the service to another one (admin preferably) and see if that fixes it. In that case you can say “ok, there’s an account that actually works” which is a good troubleshooting start point.

There’s no specific area in our documenatation that recommends running Octopus with a dedicated domain account. Its kind of a good overall practice for all services.

Thanks,
Dalmiro

Notice:

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. If you encounter the same or a similar issue and require help, please open a new discussion (if we asked for logs or extra details in this thread, consider including them in the new thread). If you are the creator of this thread and believe it should not be closed let us know via our support email.