Cannot install OctoPack in Visual Studio 2015

I am trying to install OctoPack 3.0.67 into an Asp.Net project in Visual Studio 2015. The installation via the Package manager Console fails with this log entry.

Attempting to gather dependency information for package ‘octopack.3.0.67’ with respect to project ‘DemoMvc’, targeting '.NETFramework,Version=v4.5’
Attempting to resolve dependencies for package ‘octopack.3.0.67’ with DependencyBehavior 'Lowest’
Resolving actions to install package 'octopack.3.0.67’
Resolved actions to install package 'octopack.3.0.67’
Adding package ‘OctoPack.3.0.67’ to folder 'C:\repos\demo\packages’
Added package ‘OctoPack.3.0.67’ to folder 'C:\repos\demo\packages’
Install failed. Rolling back…
Package ‘OctoPack.3.0.67’ does not exist in project 'DemoMvc’
Removing package ‘OctoPack.3.0.67’ from folder 'C:\repos\repos\packages’
Removed package ‘OctoPack.3.0.67’ from folder 'C:\repos\repos\packages’
Install-Package : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
At line:1 char:16

• install-package <<<< octopack
    • CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: [Install-Package], Exception
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGetCmdletUnhandledException,NuGet.PackageManagement.PowerShellCmdlets.InstallPackageCommand

Hi Richard,

Thanks for reaching out!

Can you try adding Octopack to your Packages.config file manually and then forcing an update of all the nuget packages in your project?

<package id="OctoPack" version="3.0.67" targetFramework="net46" developmentDependency="true" />

Let me know how that goes.

Thanks
Dalmiro

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response. Adding OctoPack to the packages.config file did not work; but updating all packages highlighted the real issue. The packages.config file had the xml namespace attribute in the packages element:

I think this might be valid xml but it seems to break the package manager. I removed the attribute and OctoPack installed.

Thanks for the help.

Richard

P.s. You’ll probably hear from me again has I try to set up our CD work flow.

Glad to hear you sorted it out Richard!

You know where to find us already. If possible just try to keep each question on its own thread (so people can find them easily).

Cheers