Cannot add Helm Feed from Azure Container Registry

We are currently pushing helm charts to an Azure Container Registry (ACR) with the following commands:

SET HELM_EXPERIMENTAL_OCI=1
helm chart save folder xxx.azurecr.io/charts/name:0.1.0.123
helm chart push xxx.azurecr.io/charts/name:0.1.0.123

The chart is correctly pushed to the ACR and identified as a Helm chart and can be downloaded with the command:

helm chart pull xxx.azurecr.io/charts/name:0.1.0.123

However, I cannot add the ACR as an external feed within Octopus, it returns a 404 because there is no index.yaml file created. I believe this is very similar to an existing issue raised Helm plugin fails to get index.yaml but I have tried the suggestion from there to no avail.

Are there any steps we have missed that is preventing Octopus from recognising the feed? I.e. do we have to create the index.yaml manually or set the HELM_EXPERIMENTAL_OCI flag on the Octopus server.

Hi @nickthoresby,

First of all, welcome to the Octopus Forums!

Thanks for reaching out. I’m not certain that we support the OCI repository standard as yet, but I’ll chat with our engineers to get you a definitive answer.

Please feel free to reach out in the meantime with any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hey @nickthoresby,

Unfortunately, the helm feeds expect the index.yaml file and won’t work with OCI feeds. The only workaround would be to not use the helm steps and script the helm deployment manually.

However, starting in 2020.3, we do now allow helm charts to be put into the built-in feed, which might be more convenient for you.

Please let me know if that helps or if you have any other questions or concerns.

Edit: Here’s a blog that might be helpful :https://octopus.com/blog/deploy-helm-chart-with-octopus

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy,

Thanks for the confirmation.

We will try and upload as a package to Octopus instead and use that to drive the Upgrade a Helm Chart Step.

Regards,
Nick

Hey Nick,

You’re very welcome!

Thanks for the update and please let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.