Can Docker steps be child steps?

I have a service that runs inside a Docker container, and I’d like to configure a rolling deploy for this service. So I need to stop and start first replica, then stop and start second replica, so on. Typical rolling deploy.

But apparently Start Docker container and Stop Docker container are separate steps in Octopus, and they are not allowed to be child steps. So I can only stop all replicas at once, then start them, not one-by-one.

Am I missing something?

Kind regards,
Alexey Kirpichnikov

Hi Alexey,
Thanks for reaching out, we have discussed this and we agree that there’s no reason docker shouldn’t be child steps and I’ve created an Allow Docker steps to be child steps issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
Lawrence.

Hi Lawrence,

Do you have any planned date for this issue? This feature was working before, and we rely on this behavior (we have a process with Docker steps as child steps, which was created in an earlier version of Octopus).

Kind regards,
Alexey Kirpichnikov

Hi Alexey,
Thanks for keeping in touch on this. I have found that this issue has recently been fixed and closed. Please find more details in the issue Remove limitation on steps being\having child steps #3754.

This fix was added to version 3.16.5 where you will be able to add docker steps as child steps. I would love to hear from you if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
Lawrence.