Biztalk irregular deployment issue with GAC

we have octopus in 2020.8 in our in house server and we deploy in rolling windows size at 4.

from time to time, we can see there is a GAC assembly Install an assembly in global assembly cache - .NET Framework | Microsoft Learn
adding to catch was success in the log but we could not see it.

This is the command we use to install the biztalk application
Push-BTDFBiztalkApplication -biztalkApplicationName $biztalkAppName -btdfProductName $biztalkAppName -importIntoBiztalkMgmtDb $IsFirstBiztalkServer -deployOptions $deployOptions

this was the actual command for this assembly:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\FTFCU.BT.DebitCardFeatures\17.0.6\Deployment\Framework\DeployTools\gacutil.exe” /f /i “…\ExternalAssemblies\jose-jwt.dll”

there were more assemblies and they were GAC-ed fine, but only this one was reported as GAC-ed, but nothing hapened

Hey @rachel.dong,

Thanks for reaching out to Octopus Support!
Sorry to hear you’ve run into some issues.

If there has been no changes to your Octopus version of infrastructure then it would be hard to point out any issues from within Octopus that may be causing this.

I wonder if you’re able to try to run those commands outside of Octopus Deploy, to see if you can get them to work locally or isolated from Octopus?

We’d also be happy to look at any raw task logs from those deployments to see if we can spot anything strange - if you’d like then feel free to send those over to us here: Support Files | Rachel.Dong.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Hey Adam looks like it doesnt allow me to add logs from our site.

mainly you want to scroll to the part where there is assembly jose-jwt.dll. As said earlier, we set a rolling window size of 4 but only 1 target is not deployed with such in GAC catch, but they other 3 targets are successful. while in the Octopus log, they are showing a success.

Assembly successfully added to the cache
January 4th 2023 04:46:54Info
“C:\Program Files (x86)\FTFCU.BT.DebitCardFeatures\17.0.6\Deployment\Framework\DeployTools\gacutil.exe” /f /i “…\ExternalAssemblies\jose-jwt.dll”
Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 4.0.30319.1
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Hey @rachel.dong,

Apologies, you said you weren’t able to upload logs at all?

There isn’t much we can do without being able to view the full logs, unfortunately, as they provide extra context in regards to what machine type is running the deployment and other surrounding circumstances.

If Octopus is showing as successful for all machines, it may be worth manually attempting to run the utility on the machine that appears to silently fail, to see if any errors are reported back.

If you’d prefer to communicate privately then please feel free to e-mail us at support@octopus.com, otherwise, feel free to continue replying here.

Kind Regards,
Adam

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.