Best way to clone target server

I have a new virtual server which I intend to configure as far as possible before my colleagues ‘clone’ it to provide me with multiple servers in different environments. The aim is to increase consistency and reduce the amount of access I need to the servers, and I will therefore want to put an Octopus Deploy Tentacle onto each to allow automated deployment.

I can either install the Tentacle once and have it cloned, or ask for access to all the clones to install each one separately. What is the best way to proceed to avoid any complications in Octopus recognising each individual server?

For extra info, I have always had to use the ‘Enter details manually’ option when adding the Tentacle to the Web Portal, the ‘Discover’ option has neve been able to get through the network to find the target servers.

Hi @helenbull,

Thanks for getting in touch! I have some ideas here which should help you get this working.

I think there are a couple of methods which could work for you. The first method would be to run the register-with command for Tentacle.exe.

This command will register the Tentacle with the Octopus server depending on parameters you can define in the command.

However, you may want to provide a more detailed configuration for your Tentacle based on your current target. We have a documentation for Automating Tentacle Installation which has detailed steps and methods for achieving this.

This method will let you download the latest version of Tentacle, install it, then configure the instance all via script.

Does this look like what you are after?

If you have any further questions or run into any issues here, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
Daniel

Many thanks for this. Typically, further discussion with my colleagues says they are NOT going to clone an existing server, but will build new ones for
me, so this is no longer going to be an issue. I will just install manually on each one when they hand it over!

Thanks for the advice anyway, and please feel free to close the call

Helen

Hi @helenbull,

Thanks for the update here! These things happen. :slight_smile:

Feel free to get in touch at any time if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.