AWS S3 External feed - Can't override default region

Hi,

TL/DR: Can’t override AWS region in S3 external feeds.

Octopus self-hosted version: v2022.3 (Build 10863)

Details:
We’re trying to setup an S3 external feed to retrieve some packages.
Our bucket is region specific, and is located in eu-west-1.
For various reasons, we’re not allowed to create multi-region buckets.
So we’re really stuck with eu-west-1.
Moreover, calls to default region us-west-1 are forbidden due to our policies / firewalls.

We’ve tried all the URLs possible, but all the calls between our Octopus server instance and AWS are trying to use us-west-1, as indicated by our firewall logs.
I couldn’t find any documentation on this subject.

Is there a way we could reconfigure our Octopus, and tell it to use eu-west-1 by default?

Hi @damien.daco
Thanks for contacting us regarding your query.

As S3 buckets and the data within the bucket is Region specific, the way Octopus works is it will look at all buckets that are accessible to the supplied access key (user account).

When using the S3 feed in a deployment you will need to provide the S3 bucket name and the package name e.g. domrichardson-s3/RandomQuotes.

In my example above my bucket is in the region eu-west-2 and Octopus will recognise its in this region and will use this when pulling the package.

Hopefully this helps.

Kind Regards,
Dom.

Hi Dom,
We ended up analyzing our network flows again, and we had to authorize a flow to Amazon US.
It seems that when connecting to a European bucket (eu-west-1), you have to go through the US at some point no matter what.
Network admin wanted to avoid that but we had no choice.
Anyway, problem is solved.

Thanks for your help,
Regards

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.