AWS China "Beijing" Data center accounts are failing

Our project run terraform script using the “AWS account” field.
However, when working with an account in China AWS it fails, I assume because thier authentication is using a different end point.

Is there a work around where we can use the current structure but insert/inject the region/ authentication endpoint. As I understand it’d be the same with government AWS accounts too?

P.S
we’re currently using version 2021.3.13150 in case that is feature was added to later versions.

1 Like

Hi @kdesouky,

Welcome to the Octopus Deploy community forum, thank you for reaching out with your questions about using the AWS China regions within Octopus Deploy, and I would be happy to help further!

Our project run terraform script using the “AWS account” field.
However, when working with an account in China AWS it fails, I assume because thier authentication is using a different end point.

In looking for some related tickets/issues, I did find several cases where the conclusion was that the AWS China Regions are not supported by the built-in/baseline step templates in Octopus Deploy, so it looks like you were correct with your assumption on this.

Is there a work around where we can use the current structure but insert/inject the region/ authentication endpoint. As I understand it’d be the same with government AWS accounts too?

From my understanding, no, there isn’t an easy way to inject custom AWS API endpoints into our steps (due to how authentication is handled logistically), but you might be able to work around this by using your AWS China Account as a library/project variable in a custom step template, where you could potentially build out this authentication on your own within a step.

Our AWS authentication is pre-built within the Octopus Deploy step templates, so this would essentially be recreating that piece yourself within your own step template (using the AWS CLI), that could then be used in other projects as needed. I haven’t tested this approach myself, but it seems like it could be a good way forward with things given the built-in limitations.

P.S
we’re currently using version 2021.3.13150 in case that is feature was added to later versions.

Thanks for letting me know what version of Octopus Deploy you are currently running - based on my initial findings, this does not appear to be a version-specific limitation.

If you’d like to propose supporting these regions as part of the built-in step template(s), feel free to submit an idea to our new company roadmap at the following link, where our product teams can review this idea alongside others that have been submitted (Blue Submit Idea button at the top-right of the page):

https://roadmap.octopus.com

I’m sorry I don’t have better initial news on this, and I hope the workaround I mentioned is something you’ll be able to leverage for this (or a variation), but let me know if you have any questions on the information I’ve provided above.

Regards,

Britton

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.