Avoid worker timeouts

Hi there people,

I manage an octopus server running on an Azure VM in Europe, this is our main region. We also have VMs in US and Australia. I have made a project that every night spins up a VM, run some tasks on it and removes it again, this works like a charm on the VMs in Europe region, but in Australia we see a “System.TimeoutException” about once or twice a week. When I check the worker log I can see that the octopus server is creating tasks for it to pick up, but it just stops in the middle of a step that it is processing. How to avoid this issue?
Is a viable fix to have a secondary octopus server in the Australia region also? or will that effect all of the other servers in Europe also?

All our workers are running polling mode.

Hope someone has a hint on what to do.

Best regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to see you’re experiencing this unexpected intermittent issue with your VMs in Australia. Having a secondary Octopus server in Australia feels quite heavy-handed to work around this issue, so we would very much like to get to the bottom of this issue and get it working as it should.

Would you be willing to send through task logs where you’re seeing this TimeoutException? I’m hoping seeing some context and more info in there will help us narrow down what might be causing this.

Depending on what we can/can’t discern from those, it might end up being worthwhile asking for a process dump from your Tentacle & Calamari services. The following documentation page outlines how you can capture those dumps.

I’ve created this upload link for any files you may need to send. :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.