Automatic backup size small, manual backup 40x bigger

Hi

Our automatic backup file size is about 8mb. When I trigger the backup manually, the backup size is approx. 350Mb and this worries me a bit. Can anyone explain this?

Hi Jasper,

Thanks for getting in touch!
Which version of Octopus Server are you running?
2.4.7-2.4.8 we changed the backup system and its inconsistent.
Any versions outside of this do not have the issue.

Vanessa

We are using Octopus 2.3.3.1369

Hi Jasper,

Thanks for that.
If you could:

1. rename the backups to .zip, then
  2. open the contents to maybe have a quick look into the difference of them both, and
  3. let us know what you find.

Sounds like a bug that we would like to get to the bottom of!
Vanessa

See screen shot.

Hi Jasper,

What I am see is a backup from 1.0 and a backup from 2.0. Do you still have a 1.0 installation that would be performing automated backups?

Vanessa

Yes, we still have a 1.6 instance running and you are right. However that means that our 2.3.3 installation is not backing up, like configured. When I look at the configuration, it says ‘The next backup is due at Thursday, April 24 2014 6:00 AM’. Any ideas?

Hi Jasper,

Cheers for that. The first thing I would check would be in the tasks look for the last automated backup and see what it says, if it was successful, failed, timed out or possibly still running.
If it was back in April some time it might take a while to find.

Vanessa

There are no backup tasks executed on the 24th of April at 6:00AM or 23th April at 6:00PM for that matter. I tried disabling the backup task an enabling it again. Now it says it will perform a backup to night.

Hi Jasper,

Well let me know if that executes and the process starts again.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa

Unfortunately it did not process the backup task. There’s no task history and in the backup configuration it still says that the next backup is yesterday at 6:00pm.

Hi Jasper,

We have really only ever seen this caused by a hanging automated backup process. And it could be from anytime.
It will be hard to find in your version of Octopus if you have many pages of tasks to sort through.
Version 2.5 has the ability to sort tasks by type and would make finding this issue much easier.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa

I dont expect we can upgrade from 2.3.3 until this fall. This is due to the breaking changes regarding *deploy.ps1 locations, and we have a lot of teams that needs to fix this. Can you help me out with a ravendb query to find this hanging task?

Hi Jasper,

You can do the query like this:

1. Log in to Raven studio
  2. Go to Indexes
  3. Go to TasksIndex
  4. In the Query box, type: State:Cancelling or State:Executing or State:Queued
  5. Click “Execute”, you should then see the tasks and it should help to find the hung task.

You can use the instructions on this page to see how to cancel it:

Hope that helps!

Paul

Hi Paul

I’ve run the query and there are no tasks matching those criteria. Any other ideas?

/Jasper

Hi Jasper,

We are completely baffled. A screen sharing session might be the only way to get to the bottom of this.
https://octopusdeploy.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php
If you could go to the above link and select a time, we will figure this out.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa - I’ve scheduled a session for tomorrow.

Thanks
/Jasper

Got cleared up and anchoring our finds from a skype support call. Some ‘state’ type misspelling for a task in ravendb, probably due to an upgrade. Renamed the state, backup worked again.