Auto-Deploy stopped working after updating to latest version

Hi !

A week ago I updated our self-hosted Octopus instance to latest version, and auto-deployment environments on our lifecycles stopped working.

Tried to update today again to latest (v2021.3.12372), but again, auto deployment won’t trigger automatically

The releases are created and I can deploy them manually, but the automatic trigger for deployment is not firing anymore

Is that a known issue ?
Are we the only one with this problem ?

There is at least an error I see in the logs, but it doesn’t seem to me it would be related

An error occurred while trying to trying fetch the number of active SQL transactions: "Error while executing SQL command in transaction 'SqlTransactionMetricsProducer.UpdateMetrics': VIEW SERVER STATE permission was denied on object 'server', database 'master'.
The user does not have permission to perform this action.
The command being executed was:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM sys.dm_tran_active_transactions" 

I’m a bit out of clue on where to start to fix this issue, any ideas on how to tackle this ?

Thanks!
Martin

Hey @mlheureux,

Thanks for reaching out on our support forum, and welcome to the community!

Can you tell me a bit more about your trigger settings? Specifically, a screenshot of what you have configured would be great, as well as what behavior you’re seeing.

Could you check your scheduled trigger logs for any info? You can find it from the below images:

Then:

Lastly, you may be running into this issue - Lifecycle promotion does not work for particular lifecycle · Issue #7395 · OctopusDeploy/Issues · GitHub.
Are you able to take a look and see if you think your situation applies?

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best,
Brent

1 Like

Hi @brent_kinney !

Thanks for the info, I didn’t come across the Issue #7395 when searching for my problem, as I was using the auto-deploy words, which is how I refer to that

But at this point, I feel our issue is very likely this one

We don’t have any Triggers as such configured, so the Scheduled Triggers Logs is actually empty

The auto–deploy I was refering to is the one tied to Lifecycles->Environments.

The way it used to work is that whenever a new release was available to these environments, it would automatically be promoted and auto-deploy to this Environment.

So pretty much the issue that is described in issue #7395

I guess in the short term, I’ll look into the Triggers (haven’t explored them yet), or we’ll have to deploy manually, sadly !

Thanks!
Martin

1 Like

Hi @mlheureux,

Thank you for getting back to us and confirming.

Including your comment in the GitHub issue is a good call as that will help our Development Team determine customer impact.

If there is anything else we can assist with in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Best Regards,
Donny

1 Like

Thanks @donny.bell and @brent_kinney for your support

We ended up adding Deploy Release step in our Jenkins projects

Not ideal, but it’s a better workaround than to manually deploy our releases !

Martin

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.