ASP.NET Configuration Files Management

I’m deploying multiple ASP.NET Web Applications to Azure Web Apps. All of the apps have Azure AD Integration and individual service principals.

I’ve a Octopus Project which creates all these applications and their service principals and outputs the Client ID & Client Secret along with some other relative information in CSV file. ( couple of hundred records.)

I need to set this values into octopus project variables of respective projects manually.

Is there any way by which i can automate this step with octopus? i want to generate Octopus Project Variables from the CSV files.

i’ve tried using powershell with set-octopusvariable cmdlet. but that creates variables scoped to particular release and not the permanent Project variables.

It would be great if someone can present some standardized practice.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! You’re right on the money, where Set-OctopusVariable cmdlet doesn’t create a project variable, but only creates a variable which can be used in the same and single deployment.

To create a project variable via the API, we have an example script to do just that. You can run this script, and set the project variable value by calling the output variable (with the syntax as outlined in our output variables documentation page) that you’ve created in the previous step, if you’re wanting to use the output value.

I hope this helps get you going! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions going forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Thanks Kenny. It is just what i needed. :slight_smile: