ARC not working with pre-release builds?

Hi - I am having the same problem described in http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/30146-failed-to-find-latest-version-for-package but even after updating to 2.6.5.1010 (from 2.5x) I’m still not able to get this working.

All my packages are listed in the internal repository. TeamCity is configured to publsih the non-triggering packages in one step, and in the following step publish the packages that are meant to kick off ARC, so ordering is not the issue.

I’ve confirmed the timestamps on the Octopus repository in the file system and this confirms it. I can also create releases manually no problem, and the correct packages are chosen as the latest.

Here’s my logs… would love to get this figured out!

2015-06-25 01:14:20.1360 59 WARN Unable to automatically create a release for project ‘Backoffice’ when package Backoffice.Web version 1.1.131-dev was pushed: Failed to find latest version for package Backoffice.Publisher
2015-06-25 01:14:26.4003 26 WARN Unable to automatically create a release for project ‘Client’ when package Client.Web version 1.1.131-dev was pushed: Failed to find latest version for package Client.Publisher
2015-06-25 01:14:31.5644 59 WARN Unable to automatically create a release for project ‘Services’ when package Notifications version 1.1.131-dev was pushed: Failed to find latest version for package Notifications.Subscriber

Hi Abe,

Thanks for getting in touch! Currently when using pre-release builds, only the triggering package can be a pre-release, Octopus will then look for the latest stable version of the other packages in the release.

This was a deliberate decision at the time to avoid non-stable versions of packages from affecting a build - it’s particularly useful for teams that have shared packages or use feature branches to organize code. That said, we are looking at making a change so you can choose this behavior, as this has come up a few times from customers.

Sorry if it’t not what you were expecting.
Vanessa

Thank you Vanessa.

Hi,

I came across this issue as I was facing a similar problem using prerelease builds of multiple packages with ARC.

Vaness’s explanation on the design decision should be documented down in the ARC wiki as people should know of the expected behavior http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Automatic+Release+Creation

Steve