App Pool Create getting modified by Deploy IIS WebSite

The project that I am testing out requires that I create a 32bit app pool. I read that by default Octopus cannot create a 32bit app pool when you use the Deploy IIS Website. I added the IIS AppPool-Create library item.

This is great. It creates my app pool in 32bit, but i also have specified the user that i need it to use.

Have the Steps: 1 Create App Pool 2: Create Web Site

In my WebSite IIS Application Pool area I have the

Application Pool Name : #{AppPoolName}
But I don’t want it to use the .NET CLR Version or the Identity in here, as it overwrites what I’d specified for the previous step (Create App Pool).

Is there a way to disable this or a better way that I should be doing it?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch! The way we would recommend to do this is to initially create the app pool in 64bit mode, and then use a post-deploy script to enable 32bit mode. Here are the steps to accomplish this:

1. Remove your Create App Pool step
  2. Let your package step create the appPool (initially in 64bit) and set the .NET CLR and Identity in it, as this step has dedicated fields for those settings
  3. Run the following as a post-deployment script in the same package step to enable 32bit mode
import-module WebAdministration

$PoolName = $OctopusParameters['Octopus.Action.IISWebSite.ApplicationPoolName']

set-itemProperty IIS:\apppools\$PoolName -name "enable32BitAppOnWin64" -Value "true" -verbose

You can refer to our custom scripts documentation page that outlines using the Custom deployment scripts feature in package steps.

I hope this helps! Let me know how you go and if you have any further questions!

Best regards,

Kenny

Thanks this worked a treat