After variable snapshot update, the custom script updated as well

We have a deployment project with custom step with powershell script. Recently, we changed the script to reflect the process changes. We also have several old releases, created prior to this script change. We tried to deploy such old release after variable snapshot update for it (we needed to update connection strings there), but it appears like the custom script was also updated to the latest version as well. To verify it, we created an offline deployment for that old release and indeed, the script was latest version there.

Is it a bug or rather expected behavior? Should the variable snapshot update modify custom scripts to the latest version?

Octopus version is 4.1.4

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for getting in touch! That’s no good that you’re hitting this unexpected behavior. Updating the variable snapshot for an old release shouldn’t be automatically updating the step template version used for this release. In my testing, it seems to work as expected when I follow these repro steps:

1. Create a release using v1 of the step template
  2. Create v2 of the step template (and update it in the project)
  3. modify the variables and update the variable snapshot in the first release

When re-deploying the updated first release, it still uses v1 of the step template. However I’ve tested in latest (2018.9.12), so upgrading should fix this behavior for you (if I’m attempting to reproduce accurately of course). Would you be able/willing to upgrade and see if this fixes it for you, or let me know if I’ve misunderstood in any way? :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.