Updating a Step Template in a Process fails silently

Still have the problem with Step 5 :frowning:

I couldn’t find any instances of these in the deployment_process.ocl file. (There were shome references to “SIP”, but they were unrelated to Octopus as far as I could tell)

Okay, I have another theory to test, apologies this is taking so long to get to the bottom of…

Can we try to remove all the steps from the cloned project that reference ActionTemplates-6, except for one of them?

Would you mind if I deleted Steps 4 and 5 from the project “test update and commit”?

Kind Regards,
Adam

Actually, when I look at the Project variables for the cloned project, there’s nothing in there. I guess these are not included in the stuff that’s source controlled?

Go ahead

For info: I have to sign-off for tonight unfortunately. I’ll pick this up again later tonight or tomorrow morning

Thanks for your help with this :slight_smile:

No worries! Just some information before you head off for the day:

Removing the other two steps allowed for the template to be updated via the Update and Commit button.

Some reproduction on our end may need to be done to test different use cases with multiple process steps using the same step template.

I’ll update you tomorrow with anything I find!

Kind Regards,
Adam

1 Like

Hi @rik.crompton,

I’ve just been getting myself up to speed on this issue while Adam and Sean are offline.
You’ve worked through quite a lot in the past 24 hours!

Our Devs working on this have decided it would be an easier option (and to get you going again) for you to manually update the step template versions.

In the deployment_process.ocl file, please change:
Octopus.Action.Template.Version = "7" to
Octopus.Action.Template.Version = "8" and commit it.

They have advised in this case, it will be safe because the change to the library step template did not change any parameters etc.

One important note to consider before making this change is to ensure you don’t accidentally bump the value of the Template.Id. The Template.Id is which library step template the process step is based on and the Template.Version is the version of that library step template. If the Id value is bumped you may end up with a version that doesn’t exist. Be sure to pay attention to the Template.Id to ensure you are changing the correct step.

I hope this can get you moving in the right direction again at least until we have a fix for this!

Kind regards,
Lauren

Thanks @Lauren.Cagney, I’ll update the process file manually

@adam.hollow I’ll delete the test project I setup yesterday unless you need it for something?

Hey @rik.crompton,

You can delete that project now, no worries! Thanks a lot for helping out with my testing.

Kind Regards,
Adam

1 Like

For customers following this - our engineers have created a Public GitHub Issue so please subscribe to that in order to track updates for when a fix is out. We have found this is not just related to Schema version 4 but will affect customers on all schema versions.

Kind Regards,

Clare

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.