Updating a Step Template in a Process fails silently

Hey @rik.crompton,

Thank you for your patience here, I’ve had feedback from the developers on this one.

The error you’ve received, unpacking the sent packfile failed on the remote, seems to be from the Git provider, mostly based around permission issues.
Our devs noticed you mentioned you have a different repo for each project, could it be the case that the necessary permissions were not applied to that repo?
Are you able to make commits and change the deployment process of that project within Octopus, other than updating the step template?
Would you be able to let us know which Git provider you’re using?

Is the error above still the error you’re experiencing when trying to update step templates?
Let me know what you think of the above and I’ll pass on any more information I can.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Hi @adam.hollow
Apologies for the late reply - I forgot I was away on vacation at the start of this week.

I thought that the error pointed to git permissions too, but I’m not sure it is as I managed to make a change to the process and push a commit on the same day as trying the “Update and Commit”. The change I made was to update the “Notes” on one of the steps in each process we have. I did this to force the update of the Schema from 3 → 4. This can be seen here with the SHA project:

We’re using Azure DevOps as our Git provider

Just re-tried the “Update & Commit” and the error still occurs :frowning:

Hi @rik.crompton,

Thanks for getting back to me and no worries about the delay!

This issue is interesting, I haven’t seen any similar reports and I can’t help but come back to the fact that the usage tab for the step template doesn’t show the project that you’re having issues committing on.
However, you would think that would only error when updating the step template, unless that inconsistency is somehow affecting other parts.

Would you mind if I run a couple select queries against your instance? I won’t make any changes without asking yourself first but I’d like to do some investigation if that’s alright?

Kind Regards,
Adam

Yep, go ahead with the queries.

Hey @rik.crompton,

Thank you for your patience whilst I looked into this.

I was able to confirm that the config as code projects not showing in the step template usage tab is a bug, but is not related to the issue you’re experiencing as no one else has reported it.
For reference, you can see the GitHub issue here: Config as code - step template usage not updating · Issue #7399 · OctopusDeploy/Issues · GitHub.

I couldn’t find anything that looked strange or out of place in the database via SQL queries or through digging into API requests.
I even tried recreating the issue on our own servers, by linking a CaC project to a step template multiple times in one deployment process, to see if that caused any issues, but they all updated as expected.

Just to ask again for explicit permission, are you happy for us to try to update and commit the step template inside the SIP project for branch 17390_CheckForSqlConnectionLeak?
This is so that I can also instruct our devs who may decide to explore the instance further to see if they can spot anything.

And to eliminate any confusion, you’re saying that if you do not update the step template and make a different change to the same project in the same branch, that you can update and commit those changes without any errors occurring?

Kind Regards,
Adam

Yep, that’s fine

Yes. I have been able to update the Notes field on a given step. I’ve also deleted and re-created a step in order to update the template version it used, so I know the git connection is working to some degree.
FWIW: I’ve tested the Update & Commit in Firefox & Edge, and both give an error.

Hey @rik.crompton,

Thanks for confirming that, I’m going to pass all the information over to the devs, but I wonder if you could provide one more piece of the puzzle so that I can give them all the data that they may need?

Would you be able to provide the deployment process OCL file from within the git repo, for the branch of the project we’ve been discussing today?
With this we can not only better reproduce the issue but also inspect it for any signs of anything that looks a little off.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Yes. I’ve attached the files in a Zip
.octopus.zip (3.6 KB)

1 Like

@adam.hollow just checking if there’s any update?

Hey @rik.crompton,

At the moment one of our developers is investigating this.

I’ll let you know as soon as we have any feedback and if not by tomorrow then I’ll do my best to move this along further.

Kind Regards,
Adam

1 Like

Hi @adam.hollow
Any updates from development?
Not wanting to hassle you, just wanted an update :slight_smile:

Hi @rik.crompton

I’ve just chased our development team for an update. We’ll try our best to get a reply out to you ASAP once they reply!

Kind Regards
Sean

1 Like

Hi @rik.crompton,

Our engineers have taken a look at this issue, and we’re wondering if it’s alright if we can log into your cloud instance to have a look?

We would also like permission to run SELECT queries against your database so we can gather more data. We can do this fine from our side, but we just need your permission first.

Once we can get access and query the database, we can perform some further investigation.
Kind Regards
Sean

Yep, go ahead

Yep, go ahead

1 Like

Hi @rik.crompton

Is there a project our engineers can update process steps on for testing?

Also, do you mind uploading the deployment_process.ocl file for that particular project to our secure dropbox here: Support Files - Rik Crompton

This will allow engineering to test this freely on their side once we get that.

Thanks for your patience!
Kind Regards
Sean

Hi @rik.crompton

Sorry about the above. I didn’t realise that all this was already given to Adam before. My apologies! I’ll let our engineer know and we’ll get back to you ASAP.

Kind Regards
Sean