Retention Policy not applying to c:\Octopus\Applications\.Tentacle\Packages folder, and others

I think this issue hasn’t been resolved yet.

I got low diskspace warnings and I noticed that it never deleted anything ever. Over 100GB of packages and files. I setup a brand new octopus installation a few weeks back and set the retention policy to keep the last 3.

Comon guys, why no reply with a solution?

Second time this month now my server halted due octopus taking over 20GB of deployments!

I have retention fully setup, reinstalled all the tentacles and octopus but it just doesn’t delete the files off the tentacle.

It is amazing to me this hasn’t been addressed–or apparently even found–by their developers. It seems to happen even with the most basic of setups and it isn’t a permissions issue; my tentacle runs as the local SYSTEM account to avoid issues like this. I recently had to go and clean 10 GB of deployments off my server due to this bug. I have to seriously consider whether or not to continue using Octopus Deploy due to this bug’s potential impact on production environments.

Here’s a merged screenshot of a retention policy that is supposedly being applied (but it’s really not) to my project. Notice the project has four releases (the rest I deleted manually):

Here’s the tentacle directory storing the releases:

Here’s a release in progress (note there is no “applying retention policy” step):

The few times I’ve seen it apply the retention policies, it doesn’t appear to do anything about the files on the tentacles–only the releases in Octopus’ database.

Hi Everyone,

As you know, retention policies have to take into account many factors. And much of this is hidden from view.
I am not discounting that there could be a bug in the calculations, but to find it would require a lot of information from you and might not catch all the cases.
So our solution is going to be more extensive information in the logs when retention policies are applied, to include why something might not be deleted.
From this information we will be able to gather better information of if something should have been deleted or not, or you will have an understanding of why something hasn’t been deleted.

Here is the issue you can track: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1702

Vanessa

We’re having the exact same problem. Our retention policy in our development environment is set to 10 releases. Only the last 10 nuget packages are being stored, but the files from those packages aren’t deleted at all. Can we please get an answer as to why this is? Adding more logging (as detailed in the github issue) isn’t going to be helpful if it’s still not deleting the files.