Octopus deploy base os image

Hi Team,

I am Prabhjot working on Octopus Deploy. I would like to know which base OS image is being used in octopus version 2022.3.10692 and latest version.

Thanks,
Prabhjot

Hey @prabhjotkour.91,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support, are you able to clarify what you mean by base OS image?

We have our Octopus Server product download for Windows and Linux (Docker Image) which you can put on your own VMs so you are able to use whatever base OS you want based on your needs. We have a compatibility page here which tells you what versions of Octopus you can run on which OS’s (for Windows we recommend using an up to date version of Windows Server for Octopus which is generally one of the last two versions of Windows Server).

We also have our docker images which are Linux based. We do have Windows ones but they are depreciated and are no longer updated.

We have more information on our Linux containers here.

Does that help answer your question? If not are you able to elaborate on your use case? Are you planning on moving Octopus to a Linux container from a Windows VM?

I look forward to hearing from you,
Kind Regards,
Clare

Hey @prabhjotkour.91,

I just noticed you popped a forum post here about vulnerabilities in the Octopus version you are asking about in this forum post (2022.3.10692) so I did do some more digging and our Lead Engineer gave me some advice too.

This is for our Octopus Linux containers specifically:

Each build of Octopus is built on the latest patches of:

2022.4 and below: mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/runtime-deps:5.0
2023.1: mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/runtime-deps:6.0

You can find out more about this here.

So each Octopus release we publish will have the latest .net and Linux OS patches that are out at the time we build the Octopus release, we do not backport those patches to earlier versions.

If you upgrade to 2023.1 (latest) you would have the latest patches from .net 6.0 and Linux from whenever that release was built. So to get the latest patches you would need to ensure you have a regular Octopus upgrade cadence.

If you want to stay on 2022.3.10692 and have the latest patches you would need to run your own custom container based off of that Octopus release and run the below code so the container is up to date (which would be a more automated way of doing this):

RUN apt-get update && \
    apt-get clean && \
    rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

You can also do this manually by using our docker images and docker ps into them to run the above script as mentioned here.

I hope that helps answer the question you had here and on the other forum post. Let me know if it does not though and I will see what I can do to help.
Kind Regards,
Clare