You are using the free version of Octopus Deploy, which only allows 1 active node. You currently have 2 active nodes

Without knowingly changing our server setup, we’re getting the error “You are using the free version of Octopus Deploy, which only allows 1 active node. You currently have 2 active nodes.” when we’re trying to create a release. We don’t have clusters or anything like that, just one octo server with 5 tentacles and 2 environments.

What does this mean?

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for getting in touch! That error means you have 2 instances of the Octopus server running. Perhaps you have an old Octopus Deploy server that you are not using anymore but its service is still running?

Thanks,

Dalmiro

I’m not sure how that could be. The only things that spring to mind are:

• Octopus server is installed on a VM, which is deleted each evening and recreated each morning from the same image each day. Could this cause this? There’s definitely only one instance running though - the previous day’s VM is destroyed.
  • We upgraded to 3.0 last week. Not sure if this could be related.

Any ideas?

Hi Marcus,

Each time the VM is re-created, does it get a new name?

Inside the Octopus SQL database is a table called OctopusServerNode, and there should only be one record in this table. The records are identified by a node ID which is usually just the machine name, so if the machines get different names it would explain the problem. What does your table look like?

Paul

Ah perfect - I think one time it was recreated it got a new name, but
otherwise it’s the same name every time. So I’ve deleted the extra entry
in that table and all works now. Thanks!