XML Transforms, Variables, and the FTP step

Hi, got a confirmation question regarding the FTP step. Can anyone tell me if I’m missing something or if my assumptions here are correct?

With the regular IIS step I can enable xml transforms and I can use the Additional Transforms section to define the name of the transform file I want to look for using variables. This is important in our case because the transforms in our project that match the build configuration names do not match up to the environment names we have defined in Octopus. For example we have an environment named ‘Production FTP Staging’ so as to be descriptive, but I only want to have a transform named ‘production’ versus one with that specific name. This all works fine though as I can define a variable that provides the transform name for each environment. So far so good.

With the FTP step though, I don’t see any place to provide a name for an additional transform. It looks like the transformation process does occur, but only using the defaults which would require the transform name to match the environment. The current solution track I’m on is to write a power shell script to do the transform myself using the variables and only do that step when deploying to environments that require FTP (of which we have a few). Is that my option? Or is there some easier way to accomplish what I want to do without resorting to that manual method?

Thanks in advance,
Scott LeWarne
Epiq Systems
slewarne@epiqsystems.com

Hi Scott,

This is a limitation in the UI, but it’s still possible.

You can create a Variable in your project with the name “Octopus.Step.Package.AdditionalXmlConfigurationTransforms”, and use the value that you would have typed into the addition transforms field. During the FTP deployment Octopus will check for this variable.

Paul