Workers Pools and Security Restrictions

I love the idea of Worker Pools and I have a use case that I think hasn’t been addressed by them. I’m using the hosted solution and I need worker pools such that a specific worker that has access to the resources can be called depending on the environment. And unless I’m missing something I don’t see a way to either call the worker pool as a variable or attach a pool to an environment. Here are a few examples:

I want to hit some internal URLs to reload configuration options, etc. This can only be done from a machine in a trusted network and from a trusted IP address. All of our environments are configured the same but each one has a specific machine that can perform these functions. There’s no way to have the same project run on multiple environments but use a worker pool specific to that environment.

Another example is being able to use the worker in the environment for a specific function. For example, I want to pause a bunch of machines in our monitoring tool. I don’t want to have to install the API tools on every machine so they can do that - I would rather just say use this worker for this. Also, again, that worker is specific to the environment for security reasons.

Maybe I’m thinking about this the wrong way and there is a better approach? That’s why I’m throwing it out here. Feedback is appreciated - and if there isn’t a good way perhaps this would be a good thing to get on the roadmap?

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We have had a few other requests for worker pools as a variable, and we are having discussions about this, but there’s no active development on it as of yet.

As a workaround, you can create a Cloud Region target in each of your environments and give it a role. Then you create your worker pools for each of your environments and assign the environment specific worker pool to the Cloud Region for that environment.

I hope that helps.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.