Wizard setup

I was going through the wizard setup easily until the install failed due to a hotfix for AD. I applied the hotfix rebooted my server and started the wizard again. Now i’m stuck because the wizard is asking for a master key which I cannot get following your instructions. The instructions how how to get the master key using Octopus Manager but I can’t get there unless I’m done with the wizard setup. I even tried your powershell script and it fails.

I really dont want to ask our DBA team to delete the database and recreate it for me. How can I get this master key so I can move on with our install?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! If the wizard is asking for a master key, then that must mean an Octopus instance was already created in your pre-hotfix run. Can you double check that by opening the Octopus Server Manager and see if you can browse the Octopus Portal?

If you cannot do the above, please send me screenshots of what you see when you open the Octopus Server Manager.

Also please let me know which version of Octopus are you trying to install.

Thanks!
Dalmiro

Octopus Server 3.3.27…. I cannot browse the portal because the wizard configuration isn’t completed until I enter the master key which I cannot get at this time.

See screen shots below when I open Octopus Manager

[cid:image003.jpg@01D1FD45.97F96610]

Try using the Powershell script at the bottom of this doc to retrieve the key http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Security+and+encryption

Let me know how it goes

I get this error

PS C:\Users\joe.pena> $MasterKey = (.\Octopus.Server.exe show-master-key)[2]
The term ‘.\Octopus.Server.exe’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operab
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:35

• $MasterKey = (.\Octopus.Server.exe <<<< show-master-key)[2]
    • CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (.\Octopus.Server.exe:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

you need to run that command from the path where Octopus.server.exe is on. On a default install that’s C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus. So the script should be

cd C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus
$MasterKey = (.\Octopus.Server.exe show-master-key)[2]
write-output "The masterkey is: $masterkey"

Getting this error

C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus>
C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus> $MasterKey = (.\Octopus.Server.exe show-master-key)[2]
C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus> write-output "The masterkey is: $masterkey"
masterkey is: Error: The default instance of OctopusServer has not been created. Either pass --instance INSTANCENAM
hen invoking this command, or run the setup wizard.
C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus>

It seems like the database was created during the setup, but the instance wasn’t. I’m afraid the only way around this would be to delete the DB and start again, or simply use a new name for your Octopus SQL database.

OK I will try that tomorrow