Windows Servier Start: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'

I’m trying to get Octopus Deploy up and running. I created a new instance on (localdb)\MSSQLLocalDB in SQL Server 2014 Express. The OctopusDeploy database exists and NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM has db_owner access yet I get this error when trying to start the Octopus Windows Service.

2015-12-21 12:28:04.9392 7 INFO Browse your Octopus server at: http://localhost:4567/
2015-12-21 12:28:04.9392 7 INFO The Octopus server is starting: Initializing database and performing migrations…
2015-12-21 12:28:05.7553 7 ERROR Upgrade failed due to an unexpected exception:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open database “OctopusDeploy” requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user ‘NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM’.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)

Any suggestions?

Hi Justin,

Thanks for getting in touch! The easiest way to run the installer and make sure the permissions are correct is have the database created for you. We only suggest you create the database first if you have db admins who like to control everything :wink:

The error itself is suggesting that the user was unable to login more than a permissions error specific to the database itself. You might have to check the user and its credentials.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa