Windows Service Deployment error in BeforePostDeploy.ps1

We are using deploying a windows service on a tentacle running version 2.6.5.1010. Initially we were able to deploy this windows service successfully without errors and then suddenly deployments started failing with the following error report:

Get-WMIObject : Provider load failure
At C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Scripts\Octopus.Features.WindowsService_BeforePostDeploy.ps1:125 char:11

• $status = Get-WMIObject win32_service -filter (“name=’” + $serviceName + “’”) -c …
  •   + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject], ManagementException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetWMIManagementException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

The service is installed and updated on the server so I don’t understand why the error occurs and how I can clean the issue.

Thanks for your help!

I forgot to mention that the service is not started but starting the service manually is successful.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for getting in touch! Are you able to provide a full deployment log: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task
and a screenshot of your step that sets the service details.

It should help us find the issue.
Vanessa

Thanks for the quick response! Attached is the requested log.

ServerTasks-10188.log.txt (37 KB)

Sorry … here is the requested screenshot

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This error isn’t actually anything we have seen but I had a chat with Damian and we think that there is a race condition happening here where the name isn’t available when it tries to start. If you are happy to modify the C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Scripts\Octopus.Features.WindowsService_BeforePostDeploy.ps1 PowerShell script and add the following line Start-Sleep -s 5 to see if adding a pause before the start allows the name to become available.

Vanessa

Hello Vanessa,

I’ve updated the script and the deployment was successful.

It is a rather strange issue since it only appears to be an issue at certain times. We have seen that we can do a deployment 3 or 4 times successfully and then suddenly the problem occurs. Wait a day and then the deployment runs fine again.

In any case, I will watch to see that the error does not reoccur.

Thanks for you help!
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for making that change and confirming our suspicion. We are going to add a ‘try again’ when that error occurs on starting a service.
https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1649

Vanessa

I have same issue in version 3.1.1, what is solution for this version?

Thanks

Hi,

Could you please provide a full deployment log? http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task

Thanks,

Dalmiro

Hi,

thx for response. Can I send you deployment log privately?

Yes, please send it to support@octopus.com . On the body of the email add a line saying it belongs to this ticket (put the link)

Thanks!

Hi,

not sure what is [email blocked] address in your email?

Please try with support[at]Octopus[dot]com or dalmiro.granas[at]octopus[dot]com