When viewing a Release, why does each Package say "Loading..." for a long time?

Hi,

This might be related to my other question [here] (http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/8191-when-creating-a-release-why-does-octopus-repeat-the-process-to-get-latest-version-from-teamcity)

I’ve just created a Release, having waited for the latest Packages to be collected from my TeamCity feed.

When I then subsequently view that Release, each Package says “Loading…” as if it’s re-loading the package from the TeamCity feed. If it’s already downloaded the Package, then why is it loading again?

See attached screenshot as an example.

Thanks

artie

Hi Artie,

Thanks for reaching out!

At that point Octopus hasn’t downloaded any packages yet. That “Loading…” sign means that Octopus is trying to fetch the metadata from your package to populate that part of the page with the package’s release notes. See attached screenshot to know what I’m talking about.

Octopus will only start to actually download the package once the deployment starts.

Regards,
Dalmiro

forgot to attach screenshot :slight_smile:

Thanks for your quick reply Dalmiro.

“…trying to fetch the metadata from your package”

But why does it not already have the metadata, and therefore populate the field quicker?

Surely it already has the metadata from when the Release was created?

So if it’s fetching it again - fetching from where? The TeamCity feed? The Octopus database?

Thanks

Artie

Hi Artie,

Its fetching it from the package feed, which in your case is TeamCity. We do not store that info in memory because it really isn’t necessary in pretty much any case. On the contrary, some users even modify the package metadata after the package was created, so fetching always a fresh copy of just the metadata is handy for them.

Is this “Loading…” message on the release page preventing you from doing something else (like deploying)?It shouldn’t be stopping you from using the rest of Octopus.

Regards,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

Thanks for confirming that you always try and fetch the metadata from the feed each time, I understand now.

I agree that it’s best to do this, in case anything changes at source, so it looks like it’s just our TeamCity feed that’s being slow then.

No, the “Loading…” message isn’t preventing us from continuing, we were just wondering why it takes a long time to fetch data.

Thanks again,

artie